Led upgrade now turn signals don't work

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Del123

Led upgrade now turn signals don't work

Post by Del123 »

Hello all, just curious if anyone else has had the electrical oddball that I'm having. I decided to upgrade my turnsignal/Park lamps to led lights in my 79 licoln mark v collectors series. I replaced all my sockets in the rears and fronts. And installed led 1157 bulbs. Here is where it gets strange.

My left turn signals work great front and back but I have nothing on the right side. Right side won't light up at all.

If I turn on my parking lights or headlights both my signals don't work and my hazards won't flash either. But all my lights are on.

If my parklights and headlights are off, just my left signals works. But my hazard switch has all my lights blinking.
My brake lights work fine
I have replaced both mechanical flasher relays, turn signal switch, new sockets and led bulbs. I'm thinking it could be a bad ground but I can't locate the ground wire to the frame. If anyone knows where these are located that would be great. Only other thing is I need an electrical flasher relays, since the led don't generate enough current to activate the current relays.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Led upgrade now turn signals don't work

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

While I am the board's resident mechanical moron, I do remember hearing/reading something about the brake light switch and/or flasher switch not working properly with LEDs.

Search the forum and you'll probably find it.
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

You will need an LED flasher which the parts store probably sells. I think they are sometimes called no-load flashers.
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Your hazard switch uses a different flasher and the same bulbs, so it is unlikely that the ground is bad. Your brake lights work is another indication that the grounding is OK.

I would start by installing the original type bulbs in all sockets to see if everything works. If it does, then the problem is with the LED bulbs or the flasher. IF the problem stays the same, I would look into the grounding connection of the sockets by using a test lead to connect each of the sockets to a known good ground like a body bolt or engine bolt.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Sheradan
Occasional Visitor

Post by Sheradan »

You need a grounded flasher relay. Available at any parts store.
Daniel Brown
Ferndale, CA
1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Coupe
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Electronic flasher should do the trick.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hmm...that is something I already had done to both of Frankenstein's flasher systems: Replaced the old flashers with new electronic ones. So, if I decided that one of those LED bulbs gives me enough of a warm-'n'-fuzzy regarding brightness contrast, could I do a straight swap...?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Just get the three wire LED electronic flasher and it will run anything.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”