69 Continental signal light problems

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Rwgottar

69 Continental signal light problems

Post by Rwgottar »

Really hope someone might have an idea.. or a link to an electrical diagram.

My turn signals stopped working, checked fuse and flashers and both are ok

Took off the steering wheel to check the switch and it looks fine.

When I put the wheel back on… the front left signal comes on solid with the brake lights now

No idea what’s going on
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 69 Continental signal light problems

Post by TonyC »

Still sounds like a bad turn-signal switch. You cannot really see problems with the switch just by looking at it in place, which is the problem with most electrical components. If all the wires are secured in the plugs, then I would say the switch, or at least the pivoting cam, is toast.

What you need to do first is explore further. Take apart the column, just to the point of removing the cover sleeve; then remove the cam that the lever screws into, and inspect the contacts beneath it. It is possible that the plastic has melted over the contacts, killing the power transfer. In some cases, replacing just the cam can fix the problem; but if that doesn't work, then the whole switch assembly has to come out and a new one installed. Depending on whether you have a tilt column, that could also be an issue with finding a replacement.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

It could be a ground. Look for rusty sockets, or broken wires on the affected lights.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It sure sounds like a bad TS switch to me.

They nylon gets brittle and the wires break off.

There are some threads about replacing it somewhere here. Please, try to find them using the search.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”