66 horn and turn signal issues

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mr CVE

66 horn and turn signal issues

Post by Mr CVE »

I have done a search on this, and have a few ides, but also thinking in the last 20 years, some fresh people may also be able to input their ideas.

I have a 66 convertible. It doe NOT have tilt steering. I have just bought it, so is new to me.

first the horn. it does not work at all. the horns themselves and the engine bay wire is good ( put positive 12v to it and it works.)
the buttons on the steering wheel work ( continuity check, press button )
there appears to be no voltage at the 4 connectors on the steering wheel.
in the manual, it appears there is no relay for my model.(fixed column )
looking at the connector under the dash, I see there are fresh wires, makes me thing the turn signal assy was replaced.
I put positive 12v on each of the 4 wires at the steering wheel button and nothing happened.
in the manual, it is very hard to read this part, I see blue yellow ( 482) from horn button to the horns. but I cant see what the main input positive is...
I cant tell which fuse is the horn, but the panel next to the glove compartment has ALL good fuses in it.
on the turn signal plug there is a blue yellow wire, but I cant seem to get any voltage on it, horn pressed or not. I also tried to put positive 12v to this plug and also nothing.
next step is to pull the wheel and check the pins, but I would feel even if they are dirty, i would get a small amount of voltage ( voltage drop ) somewhere, but not nothing at all.

other issue is the indicators:

left indicator, all is good inside and outside the car.
right indicator, outside the car is good, the right dash indicator light comes on, when it goes out to flash, the left one comes on ( dash left only ) then it goes out and the right one comes on to match the outside.
Can also hear a click in the left firewall area as well.
I tried to press the flasher button in the glove compartment, but it did nothing, and i don't know if it was actually pressing, I tried turning it, also nothing. ( how do you activate it ? )
This isn't so important as the outside works, but if it is something simple, I would like to fix it.
I can see how complex a car they are, so rather ask experts first , before I tear it all apart !

Thank you in advance for any assistance here.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 66 horn and turn signal issues

Post by RMAENV »

Is the original radio in the car or an aftermarket? Mine had an aftermarket and they spliced it into the ignition and screwed up turn signals.

On the horn, your horn relay may be bad
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Some ideas, Check all the ground wires at the lights, it sounds like the power is finding an alternate path to ground. The steering coupler has a ground strap built in for the horn, it can break due to flexing over time, that is not the problem in your case, but should be confirmed before further repairs can happen.
Sometimes, people cut and splice the wires inside the column, when changing a t.s. switch. With the wheel off, you could check wires for continuity between the plug and switch.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mr CVE

Post by Mr CVE »

Thanks for these great ideas, I will investigate when I get the car back home in a week or so.

I doubt it is the relay, as my model does not have it.
personally I feel it is in the indicator switch assembly. as there is nothing going to the steering wheel. and it has ben replaced, so perhaps it is the wrong one. ( I don't know if the tilt column switch can be fitted in there by mistake.)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My 66's horns didn't work well. I pulled them and had to tune them on the bench (turn the screw until they are as loud as they can be) and they still weren't very loud. I ended up installing 5 other horns and a relay to drive them all. Not original, but loud as heck.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”