67 blower motor tube/hose

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

vacreeper

67 blower motor tube/hose

Post by vacreeper »

So I have the passenger side inner fender out and have found that the hose/tube that connects the blower motor and the plenum is shredded. Has anyone made/purchased a replacement. The original is very thin, something thicker would be nice. Any help would be appreciated,
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 67 blower motor tube/hose

Post by TonyC »

This is actually a very good question, as I too have this problem, so it isn't an oddball occurrence. If anyone has come up with a solution, please share it. I had been brainstorming to concoct some kind of replacement that will work better than the quick-patch I did, but that has been pushed to the backstage until after this engine rebuild is done...assuming I finally can start it without any more random obstacles crashing down in front of me. :doh: :angry-tappingfoot:

But that's another story. If anyone has come up with a solution for this already, please share it.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

That’s notthe tube in question. It’s a tube that blows a little air from the plenum back into the base of the blower motor to cool it.

I think it’s totally redundant and unnecessary, but my advice is just to fab your own tube from heater hose. Buy the right angle stuff for heater cores with the premolded bend. It’s 5/8”.

I might even have one spare. $35 shipped if I do. ;-)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, I was thinking that to be the fix route to take, but I never measured the diameter of the fittings on the blower. Now I know, now I can make something...after I get the car home.

Nick, your link is a great answer to something I posted some months ago and never got any good responses until now...but it's not what Vacreeper asked about. I will, however, look into pants to go with the mesh briefs I came up with for that cowl drain...after I get the car home.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Oops. You are right. I misread his post about which tube he was inquiring about. I suppose the “other” tube may need servicing too, as most of these cars do need.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Oh, without doubt; I dare say nearly all cars need those pants. I just hope Mark II Enterprises doesn't run out of its supply any time soon.

Actually, I have been thinking that elbow may not be all that unnecessary. I'm pretty sure Dan is right that the blower may still draw air into it to cool; but without that hose any air drawn in will have stuff suspended in it, which eventually is bound to wreck the blower motor itself. That hose, on the other hand, diverts air that has been "processed" by the system, reducing the risk of contaminants entering the motor.

---Tony

Update, 3 Sep: Despite my continuing big problem, I was able to construct a replacement tube. I started with getting a plastic 1/2" elbow fitting from the hardware store; then, using a spare blower/plenum unit I have on hand here, I measured the fittings and used bits of spare heater hose I also have on hand. The end result is not aesthetically pleasing, but it is guaranteed to hold up much longer than the OE piece did. Dimensions of the fittings are not the same; the fitting to the blower is 3/4" diameter, and the fitting to the plenum is 13/16" diameter. You will need different sizes of hose, or at least some military-grade duct tape to widen the fittings for a snug fit. I went with a 1/2" elbow based on Dan's post above, without verifying the size. It will work for me; but considering the diameters I actually measured, a 3/4" elbow can work also, probably with less sizing and spacing effort. My piece should be ready to just go right in once I get access to the blower/plenum. It won't even need retainer clamps because I expect it to fit in place snugly.
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”