72 Mark 4 Windshield wipers problem

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

72 Mark 4 Windshield wipers problem

Post by Bamboobert »

Hi everyone,

I have a 72 Mark 4, had to repair and clean a lot of the electric. :o Still the windshieldwipers are not working. Motor is working when power aplied directly from batterie. (shop manual). I also by-passes the interval „brain-box“. Then I checked every wire going from the switch to the wipermotor, all OK. I cleaned all contacts in the switch, seems all clean and working to me.
Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks, :wink:

Bert
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 72 Mark 4 Windshield wipers problem

Post by action »

You have constructed the question that any answer is just a guess.
Which would mean your guess is just as good as anyone else's guess.

If every wire from the switch to the wiper motor is good.
And the wiper motor is good.
Either there is no power to the switch or you missed something. Because everything can not be good and there is no power to the wiper motor.

I searched the net for a wiper diagram and found none. I believe that era of wiper circuit the intermittent delay module has the same connectors as a system that does not have intermittent wipers. If that is correct, you removed the module and connected the empty connectors together. Please confirm you did that and cut zero wires.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hi, Bert :smt006 ,

I might have an idea. Let's recap everything you have done and noticed so far (as reported). The motor works with direct battery power. You diagnosed and serviced the wiring between the controls and the motor, so they now work. The wipers do not. There is only one thing left: The failure is mechanical. The wipers are interconnected to a central arm, which in turn is attached to the motor by a simple retaining clip. Those clips have a tendency to break up and fall off; when that happens, the arm will fall off its mounting point on the motor, so your electric system will work fine but the wipers will not. You can confirm this as the cause by doing one thing: Try to move the wipers by hand. If they move when you pull a sweep on them, you have confirmed that the arm has detached from the motor, likely because of a broken or missing retaining clip. You need to go into the cowl and find that clip; if it's intact, you can re-install it (although if it fell off once, it could fall off again, so replacing it would be recommended). If it's broken or missing entirely, you need a replacement.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

Post by Bamboobert »

@Tony. Hi Tony, the problem is not the arm wich is disconnected from the motor, It‘s the motor itself wich is not working when connected with the 2 power plugs. But thank you for your suggestion. :wink:

@Action. Hi Action. you’re right of course, the construction of my question is not the best, anyway I have an electrical diagramm (photo attached). I did remove the module and connected the empty connectors together. Power is on the 2 pins marked red (other photo).
The diagramm is a bit to complicated for me. Is there a way to shortcut some pins just to check the motor? If the motor turns the failure would be in the switch.

Thanks,
Bert
Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

Post by Bamboobert »

@Tony. Hi Tony, the problem is not the arm wich is disconnected from the motor, It‘s the motor itself wich is not working when connected with the 2 power plugs. But thank you for your suggestion. :wink:

@Action. Hi Action. you’re right of course, the construction of my question is not the best, anyway I have an electrical diagramm (photo attached). I did remove the module and connected the empty connectors together. Power is on the 2 pins marked red (other photo).
The diagramm is a bit to complicated for me. Is there a way to shortcut some pins just to check the motor? If the motor turns the failure would be in the switch.

Thanks,
Bert
Attachments
5FFA3089-CECC-41FC-9566-10FACEEC70DD.png
838D809F-EDBB-44E1-BAC5-0B2BEDD013A6.png
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

That helps me. The system is different than the one I was thinking. The givernor HAS to be connected to get the system to work.

You will need a voltmeter or test light either works and reconnect EVERYTHING.

First check the ground at the wiper motor. I believe it is a small copper strap. With one lead on a known 12v+ test the strap at the motor for ground
Next reverse leads open connector that has Dark Green wire. (Not dark Green with orange) There should be 12V+ at the wire
With wiper switch on low (or any other position) there should be 12v+ at the Dark Green with orange stripe

Report back with those measurements

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Pretty sure you have a ground issue and not a power issue

Action
Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

Post by Bamboobert »

Hi Action, I connected the module again (its connected with 3 wires in and out, a bit different than the diagramm. See Photo)
Ground at motor is ok. Already cleaned everything. All metall parts have ground.
The Dark Green wire has no power, only the Grey-Yellow and the Pink-Orange have.
I don‘t have a Dark Green with Orange stripe.
Attachments
2A1ADF8C-76E1-492E-921E-6B2DBDC5DF16.png
Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

Post by Bamboobert »

I found a „test-schedule“ for my switch and after that I took a better look at the contacts in the switch. Two are missing, I‘ll try to get a new switch.
Attachments
0EF71406-28ED-4ED0-BEE1-DFB8276D56C2.png
052E23FE-51AC-46EB-8447-F11758B75B99.png
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Just shooting compressed air here, but does your car have the intermittent wiper? If not you may still have the right switch...again compressed air only from an old tired mind. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

papawayne wrote:Just shooting compressed air here, but does your car have the intermittent wiper? If not you may still have the right switch...again compressed air only from an old tired mind. Wayne
It does. From the first post .....

I also by-passes the interval „brain-box“.

Action
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

oops, Wayne
Bamboobert
Occasional Visitor

Post by Bamboobert »

I managed to fix the switch by soldering a small piece of copper to the contact. Wipers working now. :grin:
Attachments
BC2DBECE-F042-4C1E-826E-6F76458A1866.png
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Yaaaaaay. Wayner
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Yaaaaaay. Wayner