66 cruise control

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JohnnyRedd

66 cruise control

Post by JohnnyRedd »

Hi all,

Cruise control on our 66 Continental will give the steering wheel a "bump" when engaged or disengaged but does not hold the car at any speed, much less where the wheel is set. Looking for advice on repairing it or someone that can.

Thanks
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 66 cruise control

Post by TonyC »

Hey, Johnny, been a while!

I cannot provide hands-on experience because I've never dealt with factory cruise systems for these cars; but Chapter 16 of the shop manual has a troubleshooting chart in the section committed to the cruise system. Look there, see if you can match up your symptoms with symptoms on the chart. One thing we can safely conclude: If your speedometer still tells you how fast you're going, the speedo-cables are not to blame.

These systems are crude and bulky compared to even '80s systems, so that means there has to be a way to repair the malfunction. However, I have no clue who would do that on a professional level. Unless somebody else here knows something I don't, you may have to do your own repair. But it should be doable; there is no such thing as an old-car feature that cannot be repaired.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”