A/C Inlet

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

TonyC
TLFer for Life

A/C Inlet

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

This post is to bring attention to something that has never been referred to and probably should be. Attached is a shot of Frankenstein's A/C inlet setup, located behind the passenger's-side front wheel well. You will notice a duct tucked under and behind the duct between the evaporator case and blower, about 2-3/4" in diameter. This duct is part of the air inlet, which I confirmed with a light and a makeshift probe. It admits outside air into the car...which in turn explains to me where all the engine smoke was coming in from.

In the picture you'll also notice that it's fully exposed, no covering at all...but there should be one, as the retainer still on the duct suggests. Naturally that means whatever cover the factory installed to filter the air is long-since gone. I know I cannot be the only one with this issue, so I'm bringing it to everyone's attention. I'm toying with a mad-scientist fix to this, with a piece of steel-mesh screening like that used in vent fans over stoves, and a worm-drive clamp. That should not only filter the air but also last a long time, and prevent any "squatters" from going into the car through that duct. When I get the hardware for that job, I'll post a follow-up.

---Tony

EDIT: Actual description and purpose are referred to further in the thread; corrections to my above description are included. Read all of it.
Attachments
Air Inlet Duct, exposed
Air Inlet Duct, exposed
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: A/C Inlet

Post by mge825y »

What is supposed to be there? i.e. Do you know if this was always open or did it come from the factory with something that covered this open inlet?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

That uncovered hole is the drain from the fresh air inlet. I think Dan fashioned up an inner tube with a clamp on his '66.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed...? So that's actually a drain outlet ? Well, Nick, thank you for pointing that out. I never saw that post from Dan; however, since his chronicle was about his 'vert, I would not have thought of looking at it, as I don't involve myself in 'vert-related topics. This revelation changes the whole plan, then; I have to come up with a different approach to this. Luckily it's not a top priority, so I have time to brainstorm a fix of my own.

For others who may see this thread, I have to edit the first post and warn them to read the whole thing. I just know that everybody who has a Suicide will benefit from knowing about this. Still, I think it might be a good idea to put in some kind of screening somewhere, because that drain does in fact tap into the fresh-recirculate duct...but I can think about that in due course.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Save for the top assembly, additional reinforcements and the extra electrical stuff, the sedan and convertible are pretty much the same so a lot of things apply to both. I assume that nearly all of these cars have this part that has rotten and fallen off. Don’t know how much difference it makes having a drain extension on there.
Nick
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I put 2.5" bike tube on mine. Old one rotted off. Use any appropriate 2.5" duct or tubing.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

The one for the ‘63 is different. Here’s the thread when I replaced mine with a larger inner tube.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... wl#p390261
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Never a dull moment around here. Just when I thought I was thru taking those splash shields off.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

On my '67, that hole had a very thin rubber drain with a pinch at the bottom, presumably to allow water out, while stopping dust from entering. It was so brittle that it disintegrated on contact. All it really did was hold debris inside.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”