1961-63 remote trunk release

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

1961-63 remote trunk release

Post by Mike »

Does anyone have a picture of the switch for the remote trunk release and how it is installed? I have the release side of it for the trunk lid but it seems like all of the parts in the front is missing.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1961-63 remote trunk release

Post by TonyC »

Well, I don't have a picture to upload; but if memory serves, in that year the release control was not so much a switch as a pull handle, similar to the hood or parking-brake release, but with vacuum plumbing instead of springs or cables. Your shop manual ought to have pictures of it in the chapter that also covers the power locks, along with instructions for installation. The shop manuals I have do, and it appears that they just carried over the instructions for the early-'60s setup, despite the fact they designed a pushbutton switch to replace the bulky handle by '66.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Here are a few of mine in my 63.
The bracket mounting holes and the glove box liner punch out for the vacuum pull switch are already present.
Just tee into any larger vacuum line under dash (door locks) for inlet and run outlet to trunk release plunger. The plunger mount cover is also present next to the trunk latch mechanism. It just mounts to the cover and then is replaced back into the trunk lid. A braided wire connects my plunger to the latch.
I ran my trunk vacuum line along sill plates and then through trunk where wires for trunk light are along the lid hinge and then back to the plunger under the trunk lip.
The manual has pictures of trunk area w/ plunger.

(click on pictures to enlarge)
Attachments
1961interior.jpg
1987.jpg
1988.jpg
1986.jpg
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

Mike,
I have the vacuum valve, T-handle, and stainless mounting as Steve has depicted. If you are missing this, let me know via PM.

Charles
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

LCont72 wrote:Mike,
I have the vacuum valve, T-handle, and stainless mounting as Steve has depicted. If you are missing this, let me know via PM.

Charles
Mike, better snatch them up, as they are very hard to find.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Thanks all the pics are a great help.
Charles I'll send you a PM.
Mike
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

I'd like to see a picture of the installed mechanism on the trunk side if someone has that.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Solid wrote:I'd like to see a picture of the installed mechanism on the trunk side if someone has that.
The vacuum popper mounts onto a factory cover plate that is present already on all trunk lids. It is just to the left of the latch mechanism on the inside of the lid. Two bolts hold it in place and the braided wire from it connects to the latch via a cutout that is present on the factory latch. I dont have pix at the moment, but can get some, if needed.
Here is a pix of one for a '66 Lincoln. The '63 one looks and mounts very similarly.
Attachments
vacuum popper.jpg
vacuum popper.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Ah, my 62 didn't have that plate when I bought it so I've never seen it. This makes sense now. Thanks.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Actually, cars that were not fitted with the option were not given that plate, either; there was just the big hole where the plate would be mounted. That makes for a convenient access point if one ever needed to pop the trunk from the inside...you know, like, if you're ever hijacked and tossed into the trunk by the hijackers, you can pop the trunk from the inside when they don't expect it and wave frantically to traffic for help. All the trunk latches were built with the extension where the servo wire would hook (again, a real help to pop the trunk from the inside). I utilized that extension with the aftermarket popper I installed on my grand's Man-Of-War. With Frankenstein, though, I opted for the OE look, retrofitting the necessary parts off a '72 organ donor and connecting them all with bulk wiring (but I did also salvage the necessary wiring harnesses for the main parts, of course). The '72 latch has its electric solenoid as part of the latch mechanism, so there is no hook tab to pull...meaning I'd have to think of an alternative means of popping the trunk in a hijack. But I'm sure I could think of something in that situation...

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I think mine has a blank plate there over the hole. Or I saw it in with a bag of parts.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

here's the plate.
my '63 had it and I personally installed the vacuum trunk release and just had to mount the vacuum popper onto it. the plate was already there. so IDK??
(looks like i'm missing a machine screw, though...) :cry:
Attachments
cover.jpg
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It should be two bolts similar to what holds the trunk latch on. At least that's what mine has.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Mike wrote:It should be two bolts similar to what holds the trunk latch on. At least that's what mine has.
Yes. I have both of them, it appears one has worked it's way out and after posting pic, I found it laying in my trunk floor. All good!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I stand corrected. Maybe they started deleting the plates after that year for cars not fitted with the option, to save money. They definitely started leaving off that plate by '66.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”