Temperature gauge and the gas gauge

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Peppe81

Temperature gauge and the gas gauge

Post by Peppe81 »

I have a problem with my temperature gauge and the gas gauge. They were completely dead. I have changed the volt regulator, and after that the hands started to give results. But the fuel gauge only shows half the tank even though it is full. The temperature gauge hardly responds. I have tested the temperature sensor. Connected the sensor to ground with the ignition on and it went up to full. Turn off the ignition and it goes down. So the sensor works and it does not seem to be a cable break. And it's a new volt regulator. I have run out of ideas. Any of you who can help me?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Temperature gauge and the gas gauge

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Please put your vehicle in your signature so I don't have to look at your post history to figure out what year your Lincoln is (1963).

Fuel gauge problem is likely a sinking float or faulty sending unit. It could also be a bad ground. I recommend pulling the sending unit and inspecting it for the usual problems (rust). This can be done on the vehicle without dropping the tank.

You can test the wiring to the gauge from the sending unit end by connecting a resistor to ground and watching the gauge response. And open wire will read empty, while a sending unit at its minimum resistance will read full.

You'll have to search on that resistance, but I think it's 90 Ohms. Your shop manual may have the value in it otherwise google it. It's probably the same for all Fords in the 60s and 70s (like Mustangs).

I don't have any advice on the temp gauge.
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

Sounds like the temperature sender in the engine is faulty and needs to be replaced. The internal resistance is too high. The internal resistance lowers as the coolant temperature increases. It sounds like yours is out of range, not uncommon as these age. You grounded the wire which sent the temp gauge to full so that indicates that the gauge and the connecting wiring is OK. I agree with Dan about the gas gauge. The sending unit or the float is most likely at fault. if you're lucky you may just need a new float as your may have leaked and taken on some fuel weighing it down. If your car is like mine was your sender will be a rusty mess and need to be replaced.
If you do want to pull the fuel sending unit make sure the gas tank is half full or less.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I don't think Peppe has the same tank issue we'd have; it's a '63 model he has, which means the tank is set horizontally as opposed to the vertical of later years. Unless I miss my guess, access to the sender will be from the trunk, at the top of the tank, so he won't have to worry about running his fuel supply down, like we'd have to.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Peppe81, Blair Farmer was able to get all my gauges working in my '64.

Fuel gauge needed to be adjusted with his instruments. The primary issue was a NEW sending unit had a bad connection. I pulled it at his shop one day and he checked it and it had a bad connection. Once that was fixed and re-installed it was working but had to be adjusted on the high and low side.

Temp gauge in my '64 has always been messed up - but he did get it working. When I come to a stop it shoots up which makes me think my car is overheating badly when it isn't. After we got it working it stopped away. The culprit was a BAD sending unit. Literally a new one went bad in no time. We snagged another and installed it and of course it was working again. I plan to change it out with another so it will not shoot up when I come to a stop.

If you want Blair's info let me know. Not sure if you'd be interested but you can mail him your gauges to have them worked on. He is an expert at rebuilding the amp gauges as well. I may have missed it but wasn't sure what year car you have.

Jason

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”