A/C Compressor Noise

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: A/C Compressor Noise

Post by TonyC »

Well, congratulations on repairing the A/C, at least! Now to focus on the overheating issue, which probably warrants a new thread in the "Engine And Drivetrain" category. If you had the the whole cooling system flushed recently, and that flushing also involved removing whatever drain plugs the block may have (does a 460 block have drain plugs for the coolant passages?), then the problem may lie elsewhere in the system, which a flush would not cure. I'm guessing either a sticking thermostat or a worn fan clutch. I'm leaning towards the latter, as you said it happens most frequently in stop-and-go traffic, especially under the load of the A/C. When a fan clutch wears out, that is the usual symptom, and mysterious to someone who may not think about it. The solution is to get a new one.

Now, then, if the recent flush did not involve removing drain plugs in the block, that is something I would also seriously consider: A second flush, this time removing all the plugs in the block. I discovered just recently that my 462 engine (different engine, admittedly) had serious passage clogs in the block; I removed both drain plugs, and nothing came out at all, until I drove a screwdriver into the holes, punched through the clogs, and coolant started pouring out, taking a lot of solid crud with it. If the 460 has similar plugs screwed into the block (I'm only saying "IF"), I advise you to do the same.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”