Removing auto dimming light switch 1966 continental

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

FastEddieB

Removing auto dimming light switch 1966 continental

Post by FastEddieB »

After messing around with my new Lincoln, I found a simple problem I just can’t solve. I say simple because I can’t find anything about it on line and i can’t be the only person to have to remove the headlight switch.

I got the panel down and the rod out, but can’t figure out how to remove the dimming bezel. Shop manual calls for a special tool but that isn’t happening, can’t even find a pic of what it looks like. I fished around looking for some kind of release pin in behind, but no dice. I didn’t want to try pulling on it in case I break something.

Anybody have the secret?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Removing auto dimming light switch 1966 continental

Post by TonyC »

Yes: Needle-nose pliers. The dimmer adjuster is pressed into its fitting on the switch, so a pair of needle-nose pliers applied to the control, at the base where the tab meets the main circle, will yank it right out. Do use care, as it is made of pot-metal and can break like a coffee mug.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”