New Wiring Harnesses for Engine Compartment

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JAB
Lincoln Guru

New Wiring Harnesses for Engine Compartment

Post by JAB »

IMG_7708.JPG
IMG_7707.JPG
I just completed reproduction on two wiring harnesses for the engine compartment of 66-68 (with 462) Lincolns (not Mark III). In both cases, the original harnesses have usually deteriorated, with the wires no longer supple and the cloth loom cover broken apart and discolored. These reproductions bring the crisp new look back. (The first photo is the horn harness and the second is the engine harness)

-1966 - early 1968 Lincoln Engine Wiring Harness to AC Idle/Temp/Oil/Coil -For all A/C equipped 1966, 1967 and 1968 (with 462) Lincolns. This harness connects to the dash harness connector located by the washer fluid bag on the rear passenger corner of the engine compartment. It crosses to the top of the engine and connects to the fast idle compensator on the carburetor, the temperature sending unit, the coil and finally the oil sending unit. Correct wire gauges, wire colors, electrical connectors, and the correct asphaltic cloth loom cover originally installed on these cars. Will look crisp and clean installed on the engine, with no more frayed cloth cover or damaged wires. Ford Part Number C7VY 14398-A

- 1966 1967 (and possibly 1968 and 1969) Lincolns Horn Wiring Harness- Forward engine compartment wire harness for the horns mounted in front of the radiator. (not Mark III). This harness connects to the plug at the front driver side of the engine compartment above the voltage regulator and is routed on top of the upper radiator apron. In 1966 there are two horns and in 1967 there are three. This harness has three connectors to accommodate both horn set ups. Simple to install. This brand new harness has correct wire gauges, wire colors, electrical connectors, and the correct asphaltic cloth loom cover originally installed on these cars. This will look crisp and clean installed on top of the upper radiator apron. Commonly the old asphaltic coated wire loom falls apart and looks gross! Ford Part Number C7VY 13A804A

In the parts manual, the parts numbers do not break down for the individual segments of each harness. Accordingly, only direct install will determine whether these work for 68 and 68 460 engine setups. If one of you would like to help out, several photos of the harness setups in 68 and 69 would help resolve this question. I can also send a set of these harnesses free of charge in order to prove out the install in 68 and 69.

Give me a call if you would like to help figure out the 68/69 install issue.

Thanks
Last edited by JAB on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: New Wiring Harnesses for Engine Compartment

Post by TonyC »

W...O...W! :clap: VERY impressive work with that, John! Not only do the original wires start to look gross, but they also start to fail, which has been my case more than once; patch-ups helped, but this would be the real answer to the many of us who own those years of Suicides. How much do those harnesses run...or, to be precise, where can we get more purchase info?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

John, is the 66 harness compatible with non-ac 66s?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I would think so; the wire for the A/C solenoid and clutch should be easy to either plug off or remove, as that was just added to the wiring harness originally.

For me, the three horn connections in that harness would work perfectly, as I did add a third stock horn to Frankenstein long ago (a low-pitch from a '67, to go with the existing two '66 horns).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Very nice reproduction wiring harnesses. I will have to seriously consider upgrading mine. We are very fortunate to have you making repro items for our Lincolns.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I just checked my non A/C 67, and it's harness has the wire for the carb idle compensator solenoid, it is just wrapped back and taped to itself. The wire to the compressor comes from another source.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The engine harness is $80 shipped and the horn harness is $50 shipped.
You can just call me directly, or purchase through my Ebay store. I prefer working with you directly because it allows me to ask questions and get feedback.
John
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

With Narragansett Reproductions out of the picture, these are sorely needed. There's a special place in heaven for the enterprising fellows who originate new reproduction parts for our Lincolns! Many thanks!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

A sorely needed item. Great price, John. One thing you should know is that the engine harness changed mid-year production for 1967 models and probably carried through 1969. For early 67's, there are two wiring plugs on the harness at the car side of the harness. On late 67's and 68's, there is only one. You'll have to know what you have in your car in order to plan ahead. A conversion jumper for later cars would be helpful to avoid hacking into original wiring on the car side, otherwise you will need a pigtail for later cars to convert to the two-plug arrangement. It appears that your harness is the early version. I will share this with the 66-69 group on Book of Faces.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Nick,
I checked the parts book for 65-71 and only came up with one harness part number for 66/67 and early 68. Can you provide a part number for this late 67 variation?
At this point, to the best of my knowledge, the late 68-69 configuration on the 460 cars was different.

John Brewer
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My 67, built apr. 12, has the later 1 plug design. It is partially apart at present, so I can send a picture if needed. I can check tomorrow for a tag with a #, but I don't expect it will be legible.
Updated feb. 9; part # tag is not present on my harness. Plug is a standard 6 position rubber type (2 rows of 3) with 5 male pins on eng. side, f position is not used.
The 460 has it's oil pressure switch at the rear of the block, so I can't see that part working on it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

John, here is the pertinent section of the MPC. As you can see, a supposedly unique harness for each year and sometimes unique depending on the time of production (although it doesn't tell us that). Only way to know that is to have seen the differences in person. Not sure if this adds more clarity or more misery.
harness.jpg
harness.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
66 through early 67 would likely be the C6 part
late 67 C7 part and 68's with 462 would be the C8 part (I'm not sure what distinguishes these two as they are both 462 cars)
And then C9 for all 68-69 with 460, which doesn't make sense because you wouldn't have a C9 part number in 1968, but that is the voodoo of the MPC
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The Parts catalogs show the current (date the catalog was released) replacement part. So if you have a catalog released for the 1969 models and the part that you wanted for a 1968 vehicle had a redesign for 1969 that is backwards compatible, it would have a 1969 prefix instead of a 1968 prefix.

The above statement is generally true, but there appear to be some replacement parts that only had a suffix change when the part was redesigned.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

So far, the first 66/67 difference is the connector for the oil sending unit.
On some cars it is a spade connector and on some it is a post connector.
I have changed the build to add a post connector jumper with a spade plug in. That way if you have the spade connector you just remove the post connector add-on.
If you have the post, you use the post connector add-on.
The second difference is a five wire plug from the body instead of a 3 and 2 connector pair.
I will add a jumper that will allow the plugging from the 3 and 2 to the 5 wire plug.
This seems to cover the differences and will significantly clean up decayed wires on top of the engine.
Once I am finished here, I will probably proceed to 61-65.

John
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Has anyone used / contacted NARRAGANSETT REPRODUCTIONS https://www.narragansettreproductions.com in the last year?

I have an neighbor that is interested in buying a '68 Lincoln Continental sedan from a family member. The car has been sitting covered but outside for quite a awhile. He believes that critters have damaged the wiring all over the car and asked me if new ones can be purchased.

I have read here on the forum about NARRAGANSETT REPRODUCTIONS, but wasn't sure they were still in business or if anyone has used them or would recommend them?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”