68 LCC Front Window Problem

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jonmnorman

68 LCC Front Window Problem

Post by jonmnorman »

I'm stumped...

I'm having an odd problem that I can't find enough common ground on where to start troubleshooting. I recently replaced the window safety relay on my 68 Continental after the windows appeared to stop working. I also pulled and rebuilt all the master window switches and ordered a new bypass/lockout switch from Lincoln Lane. Here's a synopsis of the seemingly unrelated issues:

1. Rear windows work correctly from (A) each rear door itself and (B) the driver master control switches for the rear windows.

2. Front passenger window works from front passenger door ONLY.

3. Driver and passenger windows are inoperable from driver master control.

4. When pushing UP on the driver window switch from the front driver's seat via the master control switch bank, I can hear a distinct "click" in the driver door and watch the voltage drop on my aftermarket gauges. No clicking from the passenger door and only from the driver door in the UP position, not DOWN.

This was a very sudden issue and I can't find anything common to begin checking so, unless I can find a good starting point in this thread, I'm going to take a test light and start from the new safety relay and work my way back until I lose 12v. But hoping I can avoid this tedious and painstaking process.

Thanks in advance.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 68 LCC Front Window Problem

Post by TonyC »

Jon, I can tell you that the problem will not be in the safety relay. If it were, nothing would operate. I know you said you rebuilt the switches, but I have gone that route myself numerous times and had that problem still. It sounds to me like the switches themselves or the wiring to them may be at fault. That can be a frustrating hunt, but I feel that is where you should concentrate your efforts.

While you're at it, check the front-window motors as well by removing them and then testing their operation. Removing them may be hard, depending on whether there are access holes in the regulators to slip a 5/16" socket in to remove the three bolts that hold each motor in place. Once off, you can hold it in your hand, give it power, and see if it operates. If it does not work at all in either direction, then you can (should, probably) replace it. If it operates in even one direction, that will tell you the motor itself is good. Many people get confused if it runs in one direction but not the other, and they usually waste money getting a new motor only to have the same situation occur. If it runs in one direction but not the other (if you feed it power through its committed wiring—isolating it and giving it power through the battery directly should run it in both directions when you reverse the contacts), that tells you the problem is in the switching of current, not within the motor itself. When motors fail, the failure is total; they will not operate at all in either direction. Therefore, your hunt needs to focus on the switches or the wiring; for the latter, that's where you really need to study the schematics in your shop manual.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
BLACK66
Occasional Visitor

Post by BLACK66 »

I have replaced Motors, cleaned and replaced Switches. Cleaned safety relay connectors. In the end the only thing that maked the windows work reliably was installing two relays in the door. I regret replacing the Motors now
BLACK66
Occasional Visitor

Post by BLACK66 »

I have replaced Motors, cleaned and replaced Switches. Cleaned safety relay connectors. In the end the only thing that maked the windows work reliably was installing two relays in the door. I regret replacing the Motors now
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Aging wiring reduces voltage to the motors. Relays with big fat power and GND wires directly to each door is the way to go.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”