61-63 Speedometer Pod - Mod for easy access

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

markhoward

61-63 Speedometer Pod - Mod for easy access

Post by markhoward »

If any of you have needed to remove the speedometer pod in order to access the circuit board for the dash lights, you how its a PITA involving removing the lower pods and most of the instrument cluster. Recently assembled the dash on my 61 and just discovered I had some issue with the circuit board that required disassembly. Was bummed about having to redo what was already done but in the process, came up with a simple way to to make future access much easier. The problem is that there are 4 screws that attach the pod from the back. They are 10-32 and thread into the pod. Rather than reassembling the same way, I got some 8-32 allen screws m(two 1" and two 1 1/4") along with four 8-32 well nuts. Well Nuts are those rubber grommets with a thread insert inside. I then drilled out the holes on the bezel the pod mounts to to either 19/64" or 5/16" and inserted the well nuts. After that, I used the allen screws to attach the pod from the front. Now the speedometer pod can be removed by in a few minutes by removing the chrome bezel, speedometer mechanism, and the 4 allen screws. Not more contortion under the dash, scraped hands and outbursts of frustration to service the instrument lighting.
Attachments
686CB1D9-0712-401E-A1C8-71A65D9A9614.jpeg
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 61-63 Speedometer Pod - Mod for easy access

Post by papawayne »

When I was in school (a very long time ago) word problems stymied me. Pictures were grand. Can you post more pictures for slow learners like me? Also, I don't remember it being all that complicated on my 63..perhaps the 63 is different? Wayne
markhoward

Post by markhoward »

Sorry, This was the only picture I took. Thought I had one showing the well nuts installed but apparently not. Agree about pictures really helping. Wish there were more on this forum as I have struggled trying to see how certain things go together on my 61 which was bought incomplete many years ago.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Pretty smart job, Mark. And if you end up removing the pod in the future you can take some additional photos for us.

Looking at those bulbs in your photo reminds me of the fact that after watching Nathan Wilson's Youtube videos, I thought I would no doubt be replacing the dash lights in my '61 with led's (and I may still end up doing it yet) but in actual fact, my dash is lit up well enough to do an adequate job and allows pretty comfortable night driving after all. Re: nightime - Replacing the old headlights with new ones (not leds, but maybe in the future) made a big difference.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Man, I wish it was this easy on 66+. You have to take the damn dash pad off to get to these bulbs on those.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Man, I wish it was this easy on 66+. You have to take the damn dash pad off to get to these bulbs on those.
For sure. Been there, done that and it's a PITA to have to disassemble so much just to change the bulbs. This reminds me I have a complete dash from a donor car that is in better condition than mine I have been wanting to install when I have time. Problem is I never seem to find the time, especially knowing what is involved in doing the swap!
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Yeah this is a great idea. I thought about looking for whether I could put in rivet nuts the next time I had to pull the speedo. The left-most gauge pod is even worse. It is ridiculously hard to reach the fittings on the back of that damn thing.
markhoward

Post by markhoward »

Since its supposed to be easy to remove now, will plan to take some more pictures showing the well nuts. @Solid, did not think to do the left pod at the same time, doh! Well nuts do the job nicely. No need to get fancier than that.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

With the speedo out it is somewhat more doable, but still pretty hard because all of the approach angles are awkward and there are wires interfering with blindly steering tools into place. I would be surprised if the gauge pods were installed after the dashboard when the cars were originally built.
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

I did this to my 1961 in 2012 - not sure if I posted my procedure or not. (just removed 4 Philips head screws from the front). I vowed to never ever go through the ordeal of removing the cluster the factory hard way again! Now easy as pie!
Cluster with the 4 new screws installed
Cluster with the 4 new screws installed
The 4 screws with reduced dia. heads
The 4 screws with reduced dia. heads
Screw before and after head dia. reduced.
Screw before and after head dia. reduced.
Thanks,
Bill

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible (White/Blue), 1961 Lincoln Continental Sedan (White/Blue - 37K miles), 1972 Mark IV (Pastel Lime/Green). See photos of my cars at Cardomain.com - search for gormanwpjr

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”