63 clock

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

cadtbird
Occasional Visitor

63 clock

Post by cadtbird »

I have 2 working clocks, but when hooked up to 12 volts, they both run much too quickly. The second hand does a lap in 5-10 seconds. Any ideas what is wrong with them? Thanks.
Lars Kneller
1963 Convertible
1963 Sedan
2015 MKZ Hybrid
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 63 clock

Post by Steve K »

When you first hook them up, do you hear a click which is the solenoid that winds the clock? I think the clocks are mechanical clocks meaning they work like a watch. The only thing the 12 volts do is wind it. So, what you are saying is strange - especially if both are doing it.

When you connect them, are you connecting them to the car's wiring harness for the clock or another 12 volt source?
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

are all of your gauges working properly? maybe this has something to do with a bad IVR, which is attached to the back of the clock. ??
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My 67 clock ran about 2.5 hours a day fast when I got it working in Nov. I hooked it to a 12 v battery in my shop, and have been resetting it every day, and now it's down to about half that. they will self regulate to some extent, just make the adjustment in the same direction, or you are just cancelling your prior work.
It may never slow enough, but costs nothing to try.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
cadtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by cadtbird »

There appears to be 2 different types of clocks, as I have an extra one that has points in it and another extra one like the one in the car. Mine has a little electric motor that seems to run it. I have tried it hooked up in the car and to another 12V source. I will try turning it back and see if that slows it down. As to the gauges, I am still putting this car back together (took it completely apart). I've had the engine running some, but haven't paid too close attention to the gauges as it's only gone a few feet at a time (no seat yet, just a milk crate).
Lars Kneller
1963 Convertible
1963 Sedan
2015 MKZ Hybrid
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I suspect that the one with the little motor in it is some kind of rebuild, that somebody did before you got the clock. Wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Most Lincolns had the Borg clock that was an electric wind clock. The Motochron clock has a tiny motor in it and is much quieter than the Borg clock. It was used in some Lincolns and all 55-56 T-Birds. What are the makes of the 2 clocks that you have?

I tried a search to find out if the clock used a 6 volt motor and could not find an answer. I suggest that you look at your wiring diagram and see if the clock receives it voltage from the instrument voltage regulator. If it is a 6 volt motor running any length of time could damage the field coils.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I have some original brochures that came with my 1963 sedan and one is for the factory clock. It is a Westclox brand. I can post up some pictures of it tonight, if anyone wants. I had posted them on the forum before, but I guess after upgrade to forum, they have disappeared.
I think you can still get the original coils online. I just sent mine to Jerry Magayne @ Clockworks. He fixed it up with original movement and it has worked great since. You do have to re-adjust occasionally to correct speed. I just wanted to keep the "tic-tok" of the mechanical mvmt.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

One of my 1963 clocks is a Motochron and it isn't working. It has a motor like tomo's post said. The back of the housing says 12V and has the terminals marked for + and - although you can already see the - is grounded to the case. I took it apart but don't see any reason why it doesn't work yet.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Actually, I have an answer, based on my own experience with the '66—9 clocks. It's in the gearing; there are spring-loaded gears and fork-like regulators that flip back and forth against the gears, to regulate the motion of the whole thing. I would surmise that, if a clock is spinning instead of keeping time, that regulating fork may have broken or come off.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Send in to The Clock Works. They’ll fix it right up.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Have the Clock Works or whomever you choose to repair convert to quartz. More accurate and expected to keep working for a decade or more. I have had good results doing this 3 times. Something cool about a car with an analog face clock prominently displayed on the dash that actually keeps time in a 60s car.
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Bumping thread to ask for clarification.

Regarding Clock Works, I'm presuming that the suggestion is given from veterans' experiences with them. Since the last clock I bought randomly fried its core last night, I've decided to bite the bullet with a quartz conversion; so if this outfit does good conversions for Lincoln clocks (in my case, the '66—9 models), I want to check them out. I just need to verify something; is this the correct contact info?

THE CLOCK WORKS,
1745 META LAKES RD.
EAGLE RIVER, WI 54521
800-398-3040
info@clockwks.com

---Tony
Artie
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Artie »

I noticed that there are some 'new' 61-63 clocks for sale on EBay right now. Maybe this link will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-lincoln-c ... 2763.l2649

I can only guess they are NOS from somebody's closet. Reasonably priced at $75.

Artie.
Artie McKim
New Orleans

'What could possibly go wrong now?'
Artie
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Artie »

I noticed that there are some 'new' 61-63 clocks for sale on EBay right now. Maybe this link will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-lincoln-c ... 2763.l2649

I can only guess they are NOS from somebody's closet. Reasonably priced at $75.

Artie.
Artie McKim
New Orleans

'What could possibly go wrong now?'

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”