Conversion to LED (1157 tail lights & others)

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Re: Conversion to 1157 LED tail lights

Postby denizen44 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Not too familiar with the '66-67.
This would undoubtedly work, but how feasible is it to implement?
That is a question more easily answered when looking under the dash!

Dan wrote:The outsides don't flash using the same flasher he bought.

Dan, I just wanted to point out that the electronic flasher only worked after I bypassed the relays.
I ended up using it merely because it was louder.
Last edited by denizen44 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Postby Dan Szwarc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I know I have to jump, but finding the wires under the dash is the hard part. There's not much room under the dash in a 66 compared to a 70s model.
I found the wires on the schematic, but not under the dash.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby CaptainB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am

I can't see the modified pic , it's cut off. Can u repost it please Sir?
CaptainB

Postby Dan Szwarc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 am

Just shrink your browser (zoom out).
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby CaptainB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am

Must be the iPhone, won't let me see it.
CaptainB

Postby Dan Szwarc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 am

Here:
66TS.gif

This is exactly what I posted in my thread here, but good luck finding where to make those two jumps.
They are both up under the column and no one knows where the actual wires are.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby CaptainB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am

My issue I've been chasing is im getting both inside indicators flashing when I turn right. On left turn I get 12v from the blue wire and works correct. On right turn I'm getting 12 on the blue and 6-7 volts on the brown, both inside indicators flashing. I have changed the inside indicator relay twice. Any ideas?
CaptainB

Postby CaptainB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:30 am

I'm seeing both drawings now Dan, Thank You.
CaptainB

Postby Dan Szwarc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:07 pm

CaptainB wrote:My issue I've been chasing is im getting both inside indicators flashing when I turn right. On left turn I get 12v from the blue wire and works correct. On right turn I'm getting 12 on the blue and 6-7 volts on the brown, both inside indicators flashing. I have changed the inside indicator relay twice. Any ideas?

POst in my thread linked above. I think it's the TS Select Relay.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby denizen44 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Well, I recieved almost all the bulbs I ordered now, from China.
Much less expensive to order from there, if you aren't in a hurry to receive the bulbs of course.

There are WAY more models out there than the ones shown here. But this attempt was merely to narrow that wide selection down to those models which seemed(at least on paper) as close as possible to the incandescent bulb. This is why there are only a few selected models.

For doing these tests I wasn't going to order 10 bulbs for each model, so for most models I ordered only 2 samples.
Thus, all the photos showing the car only feature the two outermost sockets working.

So first the reference bulb, the incandescent.
Finding a ~400 Lumen LED substitute is the mission.
Although perfect in the evening, the low intensity looks relatively dim in the daytime.

Then, the Katur described earlier in this thread.

Now for all the others:

As far as luminosities, this one was a very close match to the incandescent.
Alas, it failed the blink test.

To my surprize, all the models in the new batch except the last two, FAILED the blinker test!
Many of those bulbs had perfect lo/hi brightnes ratios, BUT...
When the headlights are on, the bulbs must display at LEAST the low intensity when the flasher is operating...
The bulbs that failed did not show the low intensity at all, or simply did not blink.
I also replicated the same tests with FOUR DIFFERENT flashers but none made a difference for the problem bulbs.
Oh well... Currently the winner is the last one:

Its drawback, not a HUGE deal, a slight dim on the sides of the reflector when looking from some angles.

Anyway, I may extend my search once again, still thinking about it.

in the meantime, I ALSO ordered some bulbs for elsewhere in the car,

namely the 212 model for courtesy lights,

and two different models of the 105 bulb (in principle, compatible with any 1156 bulb socket) for the reading and trunk lights.

All these were cool white (6000K).
And super bright!

First, the 'reference', incandescent (#212 courtesy):

Cool white 212:

Daytime:

Evening:

So these are a LOT brighter than before but at this point,
I found that such a cool color temperature looked somewhat strange in a classic car.

On to the reading lights.
Incandescent:

Cool white 105 / 1156:

Evening:

Because I wasn't too crazy about the cool white for some of these applications, I ordered some WARMER WHITES.
Warm white (left) and cool white (right). These short bulb models have just the right size to fit inside those round reading light sockets.

Warmer color(around 4500K), although not as warm as the OEM bulbs which are approximately 3000K.

Daylight:

Evening.
Much warmer.

Ordered some warmer whites for the 212 bulbs as well.

And a brighter model, the chosen one for the door courtesy lights.

Daylight:

Evening.
The color temperature is exactly between the ~3000K OEMs and the ~6000K cool whites.

After several comparisons, I decided to use this ridiculously bright cool white bulb for the map light...

Overall the interior is very well lit in the evening:

...kept the cool white 1156 for the trunk as well:

Then I changed it for an even brighter one with around 900 lumens

This is an evening shot.... Brightness fantastic!
And still LESS amperage than OEM!

Finally, the instrument panel lights.

I think these will require their own thread, They are not installed yet.
But on this car at least, one must be careful to choose models which will fit under the blue domes...
#3 is too long! 27mm seems to be the maximum length.
More details later....
Last edited by denizen44 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Postby 78_towncar_460 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 pm

If you are unhappy with those, Sylvania has a product called "Zevo". They do not have that many replacement types yet, but I think they are adding more. I replaced all of the festoon-style bulbs in my Buick and they have done very well. That was about 2 years ago and they have a lifetime warranty. Much more expensive than the Chinese bulbs. I did not have much luck with the longevity of those, but I haven't tried cheaper LED replacements in quite a few years. I used to have some in the opera lamps and the license plate light, but all of them failed after a year or so. I don't really care for the look of the cool-white bulb behind the yellowish-white diffuse cover on the dome light. I wonder if they have clear replacements for those???
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Postby Dan Szwarc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:18 am

Solve al of your flashing issues with the three wire version of the LED Flasher. It has a ground wire.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby denizen44 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Solve al of your flashing issues with the three wire version of the LED Flasher. It has a ground wire.

Are you referring to the low filament issues I mentioned last, or the pilot light issue?

If you were adressing the former, which model flasher is that? Because the 3-prong HD13 design (L,P,X) which I've tried, does NOT solve the low filament issue (although it may help some cars having the pilot light issues).

Update: I've ordered yet more red 1157 bulb models, once they all get here I should have a new update.

If you are unhappy with those, Sylvania has a product called "Zevo".

Yup I've seen those... Quite expensive! I'll definitely wait to see how the new chinese batch performs first...
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Postby denizen44 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 pm

During winter break, I made progress in my search for the perfect 1157 LED bulb, whose lighting performance has to be as close as possible to the incandescent version.
I managed to extensively test samples of the following NEW bulbs (all RED) :

This brings the total number of bulbs I tested, to 24.
Among the recurring fatal problems encountered in this latest batch were:
1. too bright altogether (E,H,J,M)
2. too bright on LOW (G)
3. too dim on HIGH (F,K)
4. fails to flash properly (B,C,I,O)
5. cree component at the tip has fixed brightness (A,L), (these may still pass a final test, more later)
6. too little contrast between lo/hi (N)

The winner(see below) is the only bulb that wasn't mentioned in the previous list.

Notable entry: Although NOT the winner, 'E' is definitely a FANTASTIC bulb (1157-3030-140wr).
Slightly pink-ish(doesn't affect final color), a bit expensive(~$10) and passes every test, and wow, SUPERB quality bulb and superb performance.

When lit up, it looks like a friggin' spaceship!

Short video: https://vimeo.com/250924201

ALAS... This bulb is just too bright(at least 1000 lumens) and for this reason, the KATUR bulb (top of this thread) is still a better choice IMHO.

The test setup. Not perfect because no reflector.

The current verdict: my previous 'winner'(bottom) still passes every test, and is now tied with a second bulb of very similar design(top):

Both feature '5630' diodes, just like the Katur. One is ~$2.00/ea and the other is ~$6.50/ea.
The one with fewer diodes has them slightly brighter, so the overall brightness is the same for both bulbs.

In recap, these two models:
a. Have brightnesses (low and high setting) which are almost identical in brightness to the incandescent bulb: only about 20% brighter on the low filament.
b. Flash properly under ALL conditions, with the 4 flashers I tested. For most of the bulbs that FAIL this test, the low filament (simulating headlights = ON) stays OFF under flasher power.

I ordered a dozen or so of each model, next update this spring!
:smt033

Important update:
The 12 dual-row bulbs have now arrived.
As it turns out, the SAMPLE UNIT I ordered was much DIMMER than this entire new batch!
The factory must've tweaked the bulb's electronics!
These are now as bright as the Katur. For this reason, it is no longer a winner. :(
More details later.
Last edited by denizen44 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Postby denizen44 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 am

Finally got around to do the instrument panel lights upgrade.

Before choosing a model, one must remember that bulb length matters in some cases.

27-28mm is the limit for those that need to fit under these blue diffuser domes.

For some areas on the instrument panel, especially the large ones, it is more crucial to have high brightness.
The indicator lights such as 'door' and 'fuel' need to concentrate their light in front, whereas the bulbs sitting behind blue domes need to spread more of it sideways.
Others don't need to be as bright (at least on '70-'73 LCs), such as the high beam indicator and turn signals.

Since I had ordered several W5W samples/models, I was able to choose the best bulb for each spot.

The numbers provided by the manufacturers seem to check out.
From left to right: Incandescent, Safego, Aglint, JDM Astar.

The large speedometer area was especially suited for the brightest bulbs I found.

The top pad was the most tedious part to remove.
Taking it out revealed some 50 year-old foam insulation that desintegrated to the touch.

Looking through the windshield from the top, one can see some of the bulb sockets.

Working from these access holes, I was able to replace all of the top lights without removing the speedometer assembly.
The indicator lights on the left can be pulled out without touching the socket.

The gauge panel was less complicated to take out and gave access to 5 more bulbs that sit under blue plastic domes.

The printed circuit connector was somewhat tricky to remove.

Some of the diffuser domes had melted!

I had no idea the little bulbs could get this hot.

Fortunately, I had a few intact ones lying around since 2009.

Most led bulbs only work in one direction, so one has to check that every bulb lights before reassembly.
These(AGLINT brand) had some neat + / - signs so I could easily align them all in the indicator area.

The remaining 3 bulbs can be accessed by leaning under the dash panel.

This is the BEFORE shot.
Not very enthralling indeed...

Especially considering the well lit LED interior:

And here are the AFTER shots... Holy moly, what a difference! :D

At least three times brighter.

It looks great.
The former blue/green tint shifted more to the blue, because of the cool white bulb color.

The turn signal indicators are also better than before, now always pristinely visible.

For those who need to buy some of these blue lenses(C4VY-10B870), they can usually be found new here and here (note: non foggy version).

It is also worth noting that they also come in red and yellow.
Other colors can likely be achieved by using no lenses and colored bulbs.
Last edited by denizen44 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 am, edited 37 times in total.
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Accessories