1970 Circuit Breaker for Gauges? Where??

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

1970 Circuit Breaker for Gauges? Where??

Post by John Mc »

Strange issue just started with my 1970 Coupe. When starting cold none of my dash gauges work but then after 10 minutes or so of driving, they all instantly operate properly, so I assume there is a circuit breaker somewhere although I can't find it, where is it located? Also, why would such a thing be happening??? Weird.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
MarkIII
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1970 Circuit Breaker for Gauges? Where??

Post by MarkIII »

No CB for gauges. The gauges are all powered at one end by the CVR, and the CVR is powered through the ignition switch, but there are all those fun 1970-style bullet and socket connectors that it all runs through. So there are a bunch of possibilities, all in series, where the common problem may lie.
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

The entire gauge cluster of a 1970 non-Mark, which includes the fuel, amps, oil pressure, temperature, clock, and five bulbs for illumination, is powered by the lower instrument panel printed circuit. I have a feeling, John, that you will be developing an intimacy with printed circuits. :D There are two distinct possibilities.

1. There is a multi-connector at the back side of the lower instrument cluster which plugs into the printed circuit. It is rectangular, and is fitted for 12 wires, although only 10 of the wire ports are used. It plugs into the back of the lower instrument cluster assembly, at the top, straddling the back side of the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge. You can reach up under the dash, above and around the LH side of the ATC controls, high up on the back side of the lower cluster where this connector is accessible through a hole in the metal framework of the dash. Push on the connector assembly to make certain that it is firmly and completely seated. Looseness, or partial engagement at this connector will result in an intermittent operation/non-operation of the gauges. You may want to disconnect the battery before doing this. There are squeeze clips at each narrow end which snap into the cluster.

2. The other possibility is the voltage limiter which is wired into the printed circuit, and mounted in a recess on the back of the gauge cluster, midway between the amps gauge and the fuel gauge, and retained with a 1/4" hex screw. The lower instrument panel pad, and the lower instrument cluster assembly must both be removed to gain access.

As MarkIII correctly stated, there are neither fuses nor circuit breakers for the gauges.

-Charles
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Thanks for the replies guys, I bet I loosened the snap connect for the printed circuit board accidentally when I reinstalled my clock after being repaired. I am relived to see that there are no CB for the gauges because the wiring diagram did not indicate any. I will double check those connections when I get back home. :grin:
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

John, were you able to resolve the problem with the dash gauges?

-Charles
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

John,

Check the fusible links at the starter solenoid for "crunchiness".
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

If your clock is original and working, unplug it ASAP! You may be able to salvage an old "crispy" printed circuit before it goes full potato chip or worse. I have rebuilt them twice, and once well...I got lucky and scored an NOS for a 70. You're going to hate hearing this, but I still had to cut it up because on a 72 the idiot lights are different. Plus only four, not six like yours.

The good news is that the lower dash pad comes out very easy, although on some cars you may need to lower the steering column (3 big bolts). My 72 needs the steerting down. my 73 doesnt. I could probably squeeze it out on the 72 but if you're like me, you dont want to risk cracking that 45 year vinyl.

Goodluck, and pics please!
Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

LCont72 wrote:John, were you able to resolve the problem with the dash gauges?

-Charles
Thanks to Al, Dan and Charles. I'm sorry, should have posted the latest with my '70 gauges but I've been tied up with personal matters. I think the connector may have been loose as Charles suggested. I reached up underneath and pressed on the connector and while I did not hear it snap, I turned on the ignition and all the gauges came to life. No further issues since then so I guess I'm good to go.
I appreciate all the help!
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”