1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi,
Does anybody know how the bulb of the gear shift indicator is changed?
Its the only non working thing on my car and I would love to replace it.
I do not have the slightest idea how to do it though...
Thanks!
gerald
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby elcad70 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:13 pm

1970 Mark III Lincoln
User avatar
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby John Mc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Eldorado wrote:Hi,
Does anybody know how the bulb of the gear shift indicator is changed?
Its the only non working thing on my car and I would love to replace it.
I do not have the slightest idea how to do it though...
Thanks!
gerald


Do you have a shop manual? It's in there.
John Mc - LCOC Membership Chairman
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
'77 Town Coupe
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LQQK at the new LCOC Website!! http://www.lcoc.org
User avatar
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Crystal Lake, IL USA

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm


Thank you - this was very helpful. I just have to figure out now how to actually disassemble it... ???
I do have a shop manual for the 69 Mark III - but it does not show how it is done, and I´m not sure what they are talking about...
Attachments
lincolnlightmanual.jpg
thats the description in the shop manual...
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby John Mc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Eldorado wrote:

Thank you - this was very helpful. I just have to figure out now how to actually disassemble it... ???
I do have a shop manual for the 69 Mark III - but it does not show how it is done, and I´m not sure what they are talking about...


Hi, I don't have the car in front of me but it appears that with a tiny screwdriver you should be able to simply pry up the lens on one side to get to the bulb. If so, it looks like a pretty easy and quick fix.
John Mc - LCOC Membership Chairman
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
'77 Town Coupe
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LQQK at the new LCOC Website!! http://www.lcoc.org
User avatar
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Crystal Lake, IL USA

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks John,
Thats what I thought as well when I read the description...
I can get to the lens and get it loose, but you cant pry it out, and I cant see any bulb below the lens.
So I assume they are talking about a different part at the column which has to get removed and where the bulb is located.
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby 2sasilverbullet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 am

Eldorado wrote:Thanks John,
Thats what I thought as well when I read the description...
I can get to the lens and get it loose, but you cant pry it out, and I cant see any bulb below the lens.
So I assume they are talking about a different part at the column which has to get removed and where the bulb is located.


If you're still having problems with this tonight let me know. I just did this to my car and I had to do some soldering because the wires that feed the bulb had deteriorated. I think I might even have a few pics of what I did.
No Lincoln currently...
User avatar
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:43 pm

2sasilverbullet wrote:
Eldorado wrote:Thanks John,
Thats what I thought as well when I read the description...
I can get to the lens and get it loose, but you cant pry it out, and I cant see any bulb below the lens.
So I assume they are talking about a different part at the column which has to get removed and where the bulb is located.


If you're still having problems with this tonight let me know. I just did this to my car and I had to do some soldering because the wires that feed the bulb had deteriorated. I think I might even have a few pics of what I did.

Wow - this would be very helpful - I still have not figured out how to do it. I do not even have an idea which part I really have to remove...
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby 2sasilverbullet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 pm

I don't have the pics with the cover removed, but the goal is simple. Once you get the cover off you'll see the bulb and socket and the wires that make it work.

The goal is to get this cover off.
dashlightcover2.jpg



To do that, you need to first remove this little cover on the bottom. Remove the two screws indicated and remove it.
Then you can remove the big cover from around the column. Not easy because you have to spread it quite a bit. Be careful not to break it.
dashlightcover.jpg
No Lincoln currently...
User avatar
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby continentalguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am

I hardly ever get the car out at a time when I need headlights. So not entirely sure if the bulb works or not in the gear selector viewer (not sure what the technical name is for this). :)
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
User avatar
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:49 pm

2sasilverbullet wrote:I don't have the pics with the cover removed, but the goal is simple. Once you get the cover off you'll see the bulb and socket and the wires that make it work.

The goal is to get this cover off.
dashlightcover2.jpg



To do that, you need to first remove this little cover on the bottom. Remove the two screws indicated and remove it.
Then you can remove the big cover from around the column. Not easy because you have to spread it quite a bit. Be careful not to break it.
dashlightcover.jpg

Thank you so much! Thats extremely helpful - now I know where I have to start!
I´ll report back once I have tried to remove it.
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby 2sasilverbullet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Eldorado wrote:
2sasilverbullet wrote:I don't have the pics with the cover removed, but the goal is simple. Once you get the cover off you'll see the bulb and socket and the wires that make it work.

The goal is to get this cover off.
dashlightcover2.jpg



To do that, you need to first remove this little cover on the bottom. Remove the two screws indicated and remove it.
Then you can remove the big cover from around the column. Not easy because you have to spread it quite a bit. Be careful not to break it.
dashlightcover.jpg

Thank you so much! Thats extremely helpful - now I know where I have to start!
I´ll report back once I have tried to remove it.


Wait, forgot to mention there is one screw for the big cover you'll see when you remove that little cover.
No Lincoln currently...
User avatar
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:30 am

Today today I finally found the time to try to repair the non working light. I could remove the cover but couldn't find a lightbulb in there? I'm a little puzzled now - I have no idea where the bulb could be located?
Getting the covers of was not exactly easy...
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe

Re: 1971 Mark III gear indicator bulb?

Postby Eldorado » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:40 am

I went through the link to the excellent thread above once again today and finally found the burned out bulb in the column.
I now have a working indicator light again!
Thanks for all your helpful tips gentlemen!
Attachments
71transmissionindicator-BG-IMG_4732.jpg
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
User avatar
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Austria/Europe


Return to Electrical & Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron