12 v ignition power source for pertronix

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

12 v ignition power source for pertronix

Post by cnoce3 »

I just installed a pertronix 2 and flame thrower 2, but can't find a 12 v ignition power source. Has anyone put one of these in before, and how did you bypass the original coil wire like the instructions suggest. Thanks
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 12v ignition power source for pertronix 66

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I found a 12V switched source on the passenger side of the engine compartment and routed a wire all the wire down to the firewall, across, then up over the front of the engine. I found it by connecting to various relays and activating the ignition switch while checking with a meter. Then I checked the schematics/shop manual to see if what I was tapping could tolerate the additional current (not much) of the pertronix.

Is this for your 65?

Edit/Update 11 March 2017: I have identified, traced, and documented the switched 12V source one can use for the Pertronix setup on 66, 67, 68, and 69 Lincolns.

First, you can just print out the attached JPG and follow that, but I will explain it in text, also.
Instructions and Description
Instructions and Description
First, locate the Turn Signal Relay with the 3-pin Black Connector. The three wire colors should be Orange-Yellow Stripe, Blue (looks like Lt BL but manual says it's blue), and WHITE.

The ORANGE-YELLOW STRIPE is switched battery. It feeds all the way back to a 15 amp fuse in the fuse panel and is ultimately fed by the ignition switch.
66 Relay Side (Turn Signal Relay)
66 Relay Side (Turn Signal Relay)
66 Vehicle Side
66 Vehicle Side
How you tap this wire is up to you. you can use a crimp-on wire tap (looks like 16-18 AWG wire) or make a passthrough tap using spare connectors salvaged from other project cars like I did.

I do not like to tap into wires and prefer to have a removable jumper. That's why my mating connectors DO NOT MATCH.
cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

Re: 12 v ignition power source for pertronix

Post by cnoce3 »

Thanks dan, yep mines a 65 - do you remember which relay you hooked into?
BenderJ
Lincoln Maniac

Post by BenderJ »

I ended up using a new relay, direct 12V from battery (fused), that was tripped/engaged from the original coil wire (~10vdc).
- 1962 Continental
- 1968 Fiat 500F
- 1947 Ford 3/4T
cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cnoce3 »

I like that idea, seems simple and effective. Excuse my ignorance, but do you recall the type of relay you used?
BenderJ
Lincoln Maniac

Post by BenderJ »

cnoce3 wrote:I like that idea, seems simple and effective. Excuse my ignorance, but do you recall the type of relay you used?
I think I used this - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VIA-80237/

Any simple relay with a plug-in harness, and an inline blade-type fuse for the common HOT lead (from battery). I used a 5A blade fuse to power Pertronix Coil.
- 1962 Continental
- 1968 Fiat 500F
- 1947 Ford 3/4T
cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cnoce3 »

Thanks again - I assume Red is from battery (with 5 A fuse), Black is ground, Yellow goes to Pertronix, and white or blue is original coil wire? Also, why on 5A fuse?
BenderJ
Lincoln Maniac

Post by BenderJ »

cnoce3 wrote:Thanks again - I assume Red is from battery (with 5 A fuse), Black is ground, Yellow goes to Pertronix, and white or blue is original coil wire? Also, why on 5A fuse?
Depending on the relay used, check the wiring diagram what comes with it. I used a 5A fuse because that is what I had on hand. :grin:
- 1962 Continental
- 1968 Fiat 500F
- 1947 Ford 3/4T
cnoce3
Occasional Visitor

Post by cnoce3 »

I think I've found the answer! Pertronix 2001 Ignition Power Relay Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-2001-Ig ... B004OXT3X4

Has anyone tried this?
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

cnoce3 wrote:I think I've found the answer! Pertronix 2001 Ignition Power Relay Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-2001-Ig ... B004OXT3X4
Has anyone tried this?
Yes I think Bender has tried that, and I like his solution better since he used a $5 relay. The Pertronix cost of $30 for the same relay is a bit much. If you ever installed air horns you get a 30 amp relay in the kit, and over time I have accumulated a few. BTW my Pertronix II works fine with the stock coil voltage of 9V, I never bothered to rewire it. Maybe someday I will but it goes in the category of "if it ain't broke..."
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

A $5 relay would do it, but you'd have to wire it up.

I used my pertronix on the original 6-9V from the old coil (through the resistor wire), but when I rewired it to use 12V, I could swear that it idled more smoothly. My car has never ran better than now (also, I tuned the carb with a vacuum gage).
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Dan Szwarc wrote: when I rewired it to use 12V, I could swear that it idled more smoothly. My car has never ran better than now (also, I tuned the carb with a vacuum gage).
Thanks for the advice as this is an easy test-- I will run a 12V jumper to the coil on cold idle and see how it runs. I also am using vacuum gauge tuning since my harmonic balancer has spun. yet another project.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:...I rewired it to use 12V, I could swear that it idled more smoothly. My car has never ran better than now (also, I tuned the carb with a vacuum gage).
My '66 was the same way. I had a weird off-idle miss. I ran a jumper and you could actually hear the idle smooth out...
Rob
frankroenpage
Occasional Visitor

Post by frankroenpage »

Hello Dan,

I have the same problem. You have said that you found a 12V switching source on the passenger side. :smt006 Do you have by any chance a picture of that source so that I can exactly find it when opening my hood? I would like to install a Pertronix egnition system also. Thanks for your help ans sunny grreting from Germany - Frank :wink:
1965 Lincoln Convertible
1966 Lincoln Convertible
1975 Audi 100 Ls
1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I lied (remembered incorrectly). The 12V source came from the driver's side of the car. There was a relay that clicked (activated) when ignition was activated. It is one of the relays under the plastic cover on the fender wall.
1966 Lincoln Relay Panel
1966 Lincoln Relay Panel
Everything is all covered up and put away right now so I can't give you anything better than these pics.

I found it by listening for the click and probing with a meter. Once I found something that was clearly ON with Ignition and OFF without, I made a harness to tap it and routed the wire across the engine bay to the Pertronix.

Yours may or may not have these relays depending on the year and the options. You just have to probe around and find it. Once you locate a source, you have to figure out how to get it to your coil.

I think I may have tapped a window safety relay or something. I'm don't remember anymore.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”