Mark II neutral switch

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Mark II neutral switch

Post by Barry Wolk »

I've never been able to start my Mark II in Park and the back-up lights only come on if you move the lever to the left side of "R".

I know that the switch is column mounted on the slab sides but I can't find it in the shop manual for my car.

Barry

Mark II convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Mark II neutral switch

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Look for a harness going to the trans. it might look like the blue thing on this trans:

[img]file:///Users/dan/Sites/dannann.net/eriamjh/66trans/Images/48.jpg[/img]
Lugnut

Mark II neutral switch

Post by Lugnut »

Barry -

I have never owned a '56 Lincoln much less a '56 Mark II, however, I would suspect there may not be a neutral safety switch of the nature that started showing up on the steering columns in the '60s. I would suspect it is more in the nature of a cutout based upon the transmission being in gear and the engine running combined with a vacuum switch much in the same fashion as the setup on my '58 Mercury.

In this type of setup there would be a little box made by Stewart-Warner as an integral part of the speedometer cable, and can be found by following the speedometer cable to the transmission. There will be a single wire from the S-W box. The vacuum switch portion of this arrangement will be found on the intake manifold and would have two wires, one in and one out so to speak.

Theory of operation is both prevent current flow to the start position in the ignition switch. The vacuum switch prevents acidentally engaging the starter if the engine is running. The box at the tranny prevents the engaging of the starter in other than park or neutral or if the vehicle is moving.

Like I said at the beginning your car may be entirely different.
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Mark II neutral switch

Post by Linmk56 »

Berry: The Mark II is designed only to start in the "N" position. There is a kit that can be purchased, I think it is about $60, that allows the car to be started in "P". Jack Rosen used to carry the part. The back up light switch is located on top of the steering column very near where the column meets the metal covers at the bottom of the dash. A very tight fit for the hands. At least on mine, the connection to the switch is done with at bullet like device connected to the wire, I think the wire is black with red stripes. The bullet connects directly to the switch. I too have been unable to adjust the switch so the BU lights comes on correctly. At least they do sort of work.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Mark II neutral switch

Post by Barry Wolk »

Thanks Howard,

I located the neutral switch. Tight fit.

BArry

Mark II convertible
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Mark II neutral switch

Post by siglumous »

barry
the markii has no true neutral safety
switch and will only start in neutral
unless you modify the column switch or buythe updated switch from rosen. the two
wire at the bottom of the column have mininmal adjustment fot the back up lights
neilpierson
Occasional Visitor

Re: Mark II neutral switch

Post by neilpierson »

The gear shift on my Mark II has a lot of play, so I would prefer to start the car in Park instead of Neutral. I ordered a "start in Park" kit from the Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store (Kelly McClure). They sent me a package with 9 small, brown envelopes labeled "resistor," "transistor," "diode," ... Yikes! I have no idea how to wire or install these parts! Do I really need all this stuff? Does anyone know how to put them on? Thanks!
Neil Pierson
1963 Lincoln Sedan
1956 Continental Mark II
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Post by mjs »

I would say you received the wrong package. The "Start Your Mark in Park" Kit should have consisted of a switch/bracket that mounts to the transmission and is simply wired into the Neutral Switch. It should have looked something similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-Linc ... 0840786354

I would suggest giving Kelly a call Monday morning.
Mike Shelton
1957 Lincoln Premier convertible, 57 Lincoln Premier 2dr, 57 Lincoln Premier Sedan, 56 Lincoln Premier Sedan
neilpierson
Occasional Visitor

Post by neilpierson »

Thank you, Mike. The attached picture is very helpful. It's more like what I expected.
--Neil
Neil Pierson
1963 Lincoln Sedan
1956 Continental Mark II

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”