1966 Power windows

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1966 Power windows

Post by darrylqmiller »

I'm resurrecting the dead (thread) to say thanks, this was the fix for my drivers side window. Really sucks not being able to cruise with the tunes on and the window down.
Darryl
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Any suggestions on what to use if the e-clip is misplaced?
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
dcm5652
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by dcm5652 »

Take your Switch to an industrial supply or a Napa and they can match you up with an E-clip.
3 1977 Mark V Luxury Group
2 1979 Mark V Collector Series
1 1967 Continental Coupe, (Dads car)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

dcm5652 wrote:Take your Switch to an industrial supply or a Napa and they can match you up with an E-clip.
Yep... That's about it. I think have an extra if you can't find one... I think. Let me verify and I'll reply here again.

Those little things are a bugger!
Rob
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Thanks guys. One switch I cleaned didn't have one and the other somehow disappeared on me when I was cleaning everything. I'll try Napa and/or locate an industrial supplier. Will not using the clip affect anything? I had to step away from my switch cleaning project last night. First I lose the little clip, then my soldering iron stops heating up so I was unable to fix the wires that have come off the contacts.....bummer....I was looking forward to testing everything to see if my do it yourself switch rebuild payed off.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's why they're nicknamed "Jesus clips." :wink: More than once I've said that when the dimensions of space and time broke down and swallowed them up. Oddly enough, I've managed to still operate the switches even without them. I'm not saying that you can do without them--they do retain the pivot rod--but it doesn't necessarily stop the show in reassembling the switch if you're pressed for time to get your window back up.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Does anyone know where to purchase the clips that hold the switch in place. I completed my cleaning job last night. I've only tested the two passenger side switches (front window), sadly the window didn't move. This was before I cleaned all the switches on the drivers side. I'm not sure if the current to the passenger window somehow goes through the drivers side switches. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Also after cleaning and expecting the switches it appears only one have to be replaced due to the switch housing being broken where the rod goes through.
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Front windows not working despite new motors and switch cleaning. Any suggestions?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Keep trying. I know that sounds dismissive, but it's the best I can suggest; that was what I had done every time I had to dig into the circuits to fix a stalled window. I've learned that sometimes cleaning the switches isn't enough, and they need a bit more fiddling. I suggest taking off the toggle and fingering the spring contacts directly; if the window then moves, that means you need to do a little fine-tune adjusting to the springs. Another thing I learned was that the points where the wires are riveted on can wear down and feel loose, which in turn can cause sporadic current interruptions. I've secured the wires to the rivets with solder and dramatically reduced such problems...well, at least eliminated that possibility as a cause.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Thanks. I'll try pushing it with my finger
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

bobjffry wrote:Does anyone know where to purchase the clips that hold the switch in place. I completed my cleaning job last night. I've only tested the two passenger side switches (front window), sadly the window didn't move. This was before I cleaned all the switches on the drivers side. I'm not sure if the current to the passenger window somehow goes through the drivers side switches. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Also after cleaning and expecting the switches it appears only one have to be replaced due to the switch housing being broken where the rod goes through.
All the windows feed throught the driver's panel. The two front windows are direct power while the rears run through relays. This has to be one of the worst electric window designs I've ever dealt with - aside from a hydraulic window system on an old Cadillac... that was different for sure. I fought with a "bad" window switch for the passenger side front for a while and it ended up being the driver's side switch being faulty.

I'm at the shop today so I'll look for some clips... The usual suspects carry the clips If I don't have any extra.
Rob
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Thanks Rob. I think I'm going to order some rebuilt switches. This has to be the issue with the front windows. Power is going to the switch ok, but the windows want move. The back windows work, but driver rear will not go up at all with the switch in drivers door. It goes up very slow with the rear drivers door switch, possibly poor contact I guess. I call myself cleaning the switches, but maybe I missed something. I did manage to get the drivers vent window to work after cleaning switches...nice to see that some of my work paid off.
bobjffry
Frequent Contributor

Post by bobjffry »

Just thought I'd update whoever is reading on my power window issue. All windows operate except passengers window including vent window. I still haven't sent the switches to be rebuilt. I cleaned them some more myself, but I plan on sending them to John Brewer for further inspection. The rear drivers window goes up extremely slow. I'll try to clean the track some more and see if that helps. I have no idea of whats going on with the passenger window. I suspect there might be a glitch in the wiring seeing that the window goes up when direct power is applied to the motor. As always, any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
66stinkinlincoln
Occasional Visitor

Post by 66stinkinlincoln »

Any advice on how to "carefully" take the switches apart? I tried to take one apart and while it is apart I would say it won't go back together again.
66stinkinlincoln
Occasional Visitor

Post by 66stinkinlincoln »

nevermind my browser was having issues and couldn't see the pictures. Thanks for the great how to!!

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”