radio for 66' coupe

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1966coupe

radio for 66' coupe

Post by 1966coupe »

Has anyone installed a modern radio in one of these cars? How can I listen to am all day long? I hear a lot about installing in the glove box. Is that the only option without cutting or modifications?

Love to see pictures..
JasonDexer
Frequent Contributor

Post by JasonDexer »

i would like to know the same thing also. i was thinking about the glove box. but it is kinda far away
Jason Dexter
International Man of Leisure

But then again I could be totally wrong
John T
Occasional Visitor

Post by John T »

66 Coupe:

I will not cut a dash to install a modern radio so the alternatives are limited to under the dash, in the glovebox or a hidden radio with a wired remote. I have been very happy with an under dash radio in a custom made box with walnut veneer to match the door inserts. If this is done well it blends in nicely and can easily be removed for shows. It mounts to the lower dash support with 2 large machine screws and can either be wired to the existing speakers or new speakers with a connector. Also you could make a box similar to the stereo unit that Lincoln sold.

Have fun
John T.
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

I did an excellent installation on my 1966. I for many years I mounted the radio under the dash above the tranny hump but decided it could be dangerous if changing the volume or station. I guess because I am young at 29 I like to change stations and cds frequently. I wanted the headunit around the dash area so I didn't have to reach in alkward positions. I am a total stock car person and for 10 years I showed my car at many Lincoln judged shows in PA. At this point I have decided it is my car and I will do what I want with it. I personally decided that it was stupid to sacrifice confort for something I love doing. So this is what I did. I had several lower dash bottom panels the area that contains the head light switch. You can get these on ebay for around $10.00. I cut a bigger hole in the area where the cruise unit would be. I positioned the radio at an angle so it would clear the bottom of the steering column. Then I mounted it to the panel. As for the wiring, new head units do not need to be hooked up to the old radio wiring. You have 2 hot wires a ground and some spaker wires. This was perfect and I didn't have to touch any existing wires in the dash. Also the headunit is in a safe place. I finished the job with new speakers and it sounds great. I had about a quarter inch gap between the head unit and the panel so I cut a small piece of black carpet and it fits inplace perfect. If this were a new car I would say it looked stock. Good luck. If you want pictures let me know I will send them.
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

Also with the extra panel if you decide to sell the car all you need to do is swap the panels and it would be as if nothing were installed.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

J C Whitney has listings for modern radios to fit the '66-7 Lincoln. I'm guessing that these radios have shafts that will adjust to the 6 1/4" span you need to mount a radio without cutting the panel (which I would never endorse). I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm seriously thinking of it, as the replacement radio I have is pretty old and worn itself, although it does look very good (if I could fix it that would be great). Those units have cassette players, but you can either use a car kit through the cassette player or install a hidden CD unit with a switch.

I strongly endorse modernizing the suicide as long as the original look is not compromised.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

I guess that I just crawled out from underneath a rock . . .

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Tony,

Have you thought of trying to find a factory-optional '66 or '67
AM-FM? I dunno; are they really hard to find . . or do the sellers
want a million dollars for 'em?

I'm going to a boneyard tomorrow that used to have several of
these cars, at least one with said AM-FM unit. Anybody care to
suggest the going rate for these?

Jerry

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”