Wow, head spinning on '63 Conti ATF!!

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
bergxu

Wow, head spinning on '63 Conti ATF!!

Post by bergxu »

Ok guys,

This is possibly the most discussion I've seen regarding transmission fluids on any automotive forum, wowza! I've read searched threads till my mind is mush so with that, I want to post a question;

I decided to service the transmission in my '63 Conti sedan. Dropped pan, drained TC, removed and cleaned cloth filter, reassembled everything (note: I did not flush the cooler in the rad), I put in about 5 quarts of Valvoline TYPE F then started the car, brought it to normal operating temp and added the rest till the stick read full and everything was good and hot. On the test drive, I noticed some strange behavior on upshifts so wheeled it back to the garage where I eventually discovered that TYPE A is to be used in that gearbox. In a bit of a panic, I did some shotgun reading and found out that DEXRON/MERCON III ATF is the modern substitute for TYPE A. So once again, I dropped the pan, drained the TC, removed and cleaned the filter and then refilled with DEXRON/MERCON III. The car seems to be shifting okay, albeit a bit of a flare on the 2-3(?) upshift (I presume it starts off in second if "D2" is selected?). Perhaps modulator related paranoia but my question is that if there is still some TYPE F left in the system, did I do any harm in using that for maybe 15-20 miles before dumping it for DEX III? And if any fluid is left in the system (presumably in the cooler), will the two mix ok? I seemed to get 7-8 quarts of DEX III in the car before it was full on the stick.

Also, a little 3-4" long U shaped pipe dropped into the pan when I pulled it down, which happened to me when I took the pan off the first time. Figuring fluid pressure forced it from its press fit into the bottom of the valve body, I left it off to see what would happen and can't detect any discernible difference in shift quality/engagement. Can anyone enlighten me on the duty of this pipe? It's a bit crushed where it has a bend on each end so it seemed that it was maybe restricting fluid flow. Anyone know where I may locate a replacement?

Thanks in advance!
Aaron
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Wow, head spinning on '63 Conti ATF!!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Type F and Type A (Dexron) are fairly mixable. Flush what you can and stick with the Dexron and you'll be fine. It won't really hurt anything, but you may have actually dislodged some dirt or sludge and created more problems than you fixed by changing the transmission fluid.

Note: All tranny rebuild materials made today are made for Dexron fluid. If you have your transmission rebuilt, it WILL use Dexron no matter what year it is. That's a fact of life, but people always act like their the second owner of their 60s car when a million things have changed since it was built.

Replace the tube (it's a tube when it's small). It obviously has a purpose (i just don't know what). The Lincoln experts at Lincoln Land and Bakers might be able to help you.

Find the Usual Suspects Sticky in the Vendors Subforum so you don't have to ask where to buy things. It's all been documented.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Wow, head spinning on '63 Conti ATF!!

Post by Suicidekid63 »

There are several threads here about the "tube". lol Some with pictures, as well. Try a search with "transmission tube" in it.
Many topics on tranny fluid do's and dont's. All very confusing, if you ask me.
I have run Dex III after a drain of pan and TC and had no issues at all. 8 or 9 years, now. This is bone stock original transmission with no rebuild of any kind.
Basically, it's up to you, man. Type F or Dex III can be used, either or. IMO Just depends on how paranoid or purist you are.
Just type F only in power steering system, though.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”