1957 Lincoln trans fluid

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
mjslabside
Occasional Visitor

1957 Lincoln trans fluid

Post by mjslabside »

I recently purchased a 1957 Lincoln and was considering changing the ATF and filter. I read a number of articles on the site including "58 Trans. Fluid and viewed different perspectives on the correct fluid to use and possible additives. My maintenance manual indicates that type A is the correct fluid but I understand that Type A is not that easy to find. I spoke to customer support at Castrol and was told that Type A was replaced by Dexron I, then II and III and from a Castrol perspective is replaced by their product TransMax Dex Merc. From talking with Cust Support at Lube Guard I learned that their product (which has a few strong recommendations here) can be used with Type A, Dexron and Mercon but not type F or FA. They also said they would not recommend using it in my case unless I can determine that I do not have leakage from any of my seals because their additive would make it worse. My plan is to replace my trans filter and replace the fluid with Castrol TransMax and then if there are no leaks, I'll add the Lube Guard. I'm wondering if anyone has pos or negative thoughts on this plan. Thx.
1957 Premier 4Dr, 1964 Continental, 1969 Mark III, 1971 AHA Limo, 1978 Mark V Diamond Jubilee
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1957 Lincoln trans fluid

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yes. Type A = Dexron.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”