Correct way to change all tranny oil ( TQ too )

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Correct way to change all tranny oil ( TQ too )

Post by itkonen »

I am going to change new transmission oils and filter to my mk IV -72 also. The car is running and I have no knowledge how old the oils are, since the car is new to me. I have bought 13 quarts of Gulf Type F ATF and new filter kit from RockAuto. I would like to get all old oil out from tranny and TC too.

Since I have never had a car with automatic transmission before, I have no knowledge about this procedure. With manuals it is simple, drain and fill...

What is correct procedure for this that I do not break the tranny and/or torque converter? I would really appreciate if someone could give step by step instructions to autotranny-rookie :smt001

P.S. I had this same question in other topic, but since got no answers, decided to start new.
1972 mk IV
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Correct way to change all tranny oil ( TQ too )

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You don't. At least, you don't have to.

Tranny fluid does not really need to be changed. It's not as critical as old motor oil sitting in an engine. If it's shifting OK and the fluid isn't brown own doesn't smell burnt, don't bother changing it.

Others may disagree, but transmissions sometimes encounter problems when old fluid is changed not because the old fluid is an issue, but because things get dislodged when new fluid is introduced.

All transmissions will need new seals eventually and after 42 years, your Mark is coming due.

Save your money and time. Don't Change it if it's ok now.

Otherwise, to drain the TC, pull the tranny access plate under the engine and rotate the flywheel until you see the drain plug. Pull it and wait.
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

This is totally new to me :shock: Have always thought that every thing that uses oil, needs oil changed in regular basis?

So, I check oil level and color. If color IS normal, only add needed amount and keep on driving? If color and/or smell incorrect, then change.

Thanks Dan!
1972 mk IV
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Motor oil should be Changed.

Transmission fluid (we don't call it oil) and axle lube don't need it unless there is a problem.
Your Mark IV transmission has a stainless mesh filter. It does not need to be changed, but can be cleaned.

This may be new to you, but how new are you to old cars?
mikem
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mikem »

All fluids have an change interval. Most manufacturers call for a trans fluid change ranging from 75 to 100 thousand miles.
1958 Convertible X(2)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Tranny change intervals apply to newer cars driven all the time. The rules change for classics, while there is not necessarily agreement within the community.

Transmission fluids do not harbor the acids of combustion like engine oil and do not rot or damage components when they sit, so changing it due to time is not critical.

Axle fluid almost never needs to be changed.

In the end, the owner must decide what to do. He's more likely to need a rebuild due to age than anything so changing the fluid may or may not accelerate or delay any future problems.
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Motor oil should be Changed.
Yes, I believe that this is same for manual and auto cars :D
Dan Szwarc wrote: Transmission fluid (we don't call it oil) and axle lube don't need it unless there is a problem.
Your Mark IV transmission has a stainless mesh filter. It does not need to be changed, but can be cleaned.

Not to change rear axle oils also? Is there a same kind of reason to this than with transmission?

I bought also a new transmission filter kit ( 2 pieces to be exact ), they cost almost nothing so not a big loss. To clean filter I have to drain fluid, so if I do not change fluid then I will not clean filter either? Or should I clean and put old fluids back?

My oldest car before this mk IV has been yearmodel -80 and all have been with manual transmission, even my 4x4 Chevy Sportside I had. Except VW Passat but it was so new and with little mileage that didn´t need transmission fluid change before I got rid of it. Did drive only 10 kmiles and then I had enough of VW´s for the rest of my life.
1972 mk IV
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

itkonen wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:Motor oil should be Changed.
Yes, I believe that this is same for manual and auto cars :D
Dan Szwarc wrote: Transmission fluid (we don't call it oil) and axle lube don't need it unless there is a problem.

Not to change rear axle oils also? Is there a same kind of reason to this than with transmission?
It's not really necessary unless you have a limited-slip differential.
Again, it's up to you. There's no drain plug. A hole has to be drilled to change it.
I bought also a new transmission filter kit ( 2 pieces to be exact ), they cost almost nothing so not a big loss. To clean filter I have to drain fluid, so if I do not change fluid then I will not clean filter either? Or should I clean and put old fluids back?
Do NOT put the old fluids back. You can drop the pan, clean or replace the filter, and replace the fluid you lose.
My oldest car before this mk IV has been yearmodel -80 and all have been with manual transmission, even my 4x4 Chevy Sportside I had. Except VW Passat but it was so new and with little mileage that didn´t need transmission fluid change before I got rid of it. Did drive only 10 kmiles and then I had enough of VW´s for the rest of my life
Your 72 is a beast. It is primitive and tolerant of many things. You can do little to harm it that time hasn't already done. You'll be ok.
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

Car has traction-lok rear axle, so change would be a good thing then? Maybe it would be a good thing to drill a hole and install a drain plug, so I would not need to change gasket every time when I change oil.

Thank you very much Dan! Good advices and things to think about :)
1972 mk IV
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

Decided to change transmission fluid because pan gasket was leaking a little. Changed to TQ too. Old fluid did not smell burned and was pretty red in colour. Transmission has a better response now, maybe the old fluid was not correct type? New fluid is type F. Hope that no leaks start because of changing, so far so good.

Totally it took 11,5 quarts and still looks full at dipstick. Is it normal because manual says 13 quarts is the amount of fluid with TQ?
1972 mk IV
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Did the dipstick read 'full' when you checked with the motor running at idle and at normal operating temperature? If you did, I think it's quite possible that there was hydraulic fluid left in the transmission and TQ after you drained them.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

Motor running in normal temperature and dipstick says level is: full, do not add. Checked three times during this day but reading is the same all the time. Have to take a longer roadtrip and check again tomorrow. Tranny gets betterand better all the time 8-)
1972 mk IV

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”