1978 Lincoln correct power steering fluid

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

1978 Lincoln correct power steering fluid

Post by SDContinental »

To everyone that owns a Continental or Mark V, starting in 78, Ford changed using Type F fluid in the power steering reservoir, to using regular power steering fluid!!

My 78 maintenance manual says so. All Fords use Type F, except Lincolns! I have no idea why that is, but the book specifically states it.

I have Type F in my 78, and it doesn't make noise or anything, but it does have a small leak at the hydro-booster. Not sure if the leak is due to age, or simply using the wrong fluid, but I am going to be draining out all the trans fluid and putting in PS fluid. I just thought you guys should know. :smt006
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1978 Lincoln correct power steering fluid

Post by onedollarbob »

Hey that's good to know. Not doubting you, but which manual are you referring to? Is this in the owner's manual in the maintenance section? I've always run regular fluid in my '78/'79s.

Yeah, the hydroboost is great for that numb, one-finger steering that '70s Lincolns are known for, but it is extremely common for these to leak. I rebuilt my booster and reinstalled with a new seal and master cylinder, and 6 months/750 miles later it began leaking *again*.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here is the info from the Owners Manual of my 1977.
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 93#p175079
Look for fluid that says "meets Ford M2C128C or D". That's the Ford spec that the fluid must meet. I use Valvoline Syn-Power Power Steering Fluid. Well, I use it because that's all I could find in a name brand.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... roduct=139

Don't buy anything that says "Compatible with ALL power steering fluids". That means is mostly wax-filled oil which is crap.
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Not the owners manual, but the actual 1978 Ford Chassis book and Pre-delivery, lubrication and maintenance book that I own. I was surprised that it stated PS fluid for Lincolns.

Does anyone know why Ford did this? What's the major differences between PS fluid and Trans fluid? You'd think you would want ATF in there due to it's heavy detergents which will last longer over PS fluid.

At the end of the day does it really matter? I mean as long as the pump isn't whining and blowing hoses, will it cause damage to the pump?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ATF is not necessarily the best fluid for a pump. Why would they have switched to it in the 70s if ATF was the best?

Use what it came with from the factory. Use what is in your owners manual.
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Well I couldn't find Valvoline Syn PSF anywhere, that stuff must be extinct or something. So I went ahead with Napa PSF. It took 5 quarts of fluid just to get the color to change clean.

Mine was very dirty, and filled with ATF afterall, but glad to report that the steering feel is even smoother, with no problems to report.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You could always buy from online or (gasp!) the dealer.

They key is this: "meets Ford M2C128C or D".
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

Dan Szwarc wrote:You could always buy from online or (gasp!) the dealer.

They key is this: "meets Ford M2C128C or D".
Good to know Dan. The reason why I went with Napa PS fluid was because I simply don't trust the typical PS fluid products that are on the shelves (Prestone's and such) especially for a Hydro-boost system, you just never know sometimes.

Afterall Valvoline makes Napa's oil. :smt023

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”