To change or not to change: 1980s T C s

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

To change or not to change: 1980s T C s

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I have heard a belief, a number of times, that it is better to NOT change automatic transmission fluid: period.

I still remember losing top gear in my '62 very shortly after having the fluid changed, shortly after I bought the car.

My '85 T C seems to be straining to get sufficient fluid through the filter, especially when cold, that the 2 - 3 shift is delayed . . . . or when cold, goes out of gear for a bit, right after shifting into second. I hit the gas lightly a couple of times, and it finally kicks in. It never comes out of gear when fully warmed up.

I have a great personal mechanic who is known across the country for "letter-series 300" transmission (which have slightly different specifications than regular Chrysler ones), . . . . yet I'm still afraid to change it. If a fluid change precipitates a rebuild, it'll close to bankrupt me! What to do? :|
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: To change or not to change: 1980s T C s

Post by onedollarbob »

If fluid has not been changed in 35K+ miles, I just leave it alone and hope for the best until it's time. At that point, there is clutch material in the fluid that is actually the "glue" keeping all the worn parts shifting properly.

Your symptoms of late shifting and slipping when cold are classic "morning sickness" that was common on the AOD Ford transmission. Often, it is most noticeable when taking sharp right turns at mid-acceleration or higher. Barring the unlikely event of a mere adjustment or low fluid, your transmission *will* need rebuilding. These were finicky slush boxes.

My recommendation on pretty much any transmission is change the fluid every 15k miles unless you don't know its maintenance history. In your case, if a shop recommends rebuild, you can probably get away with replacing a quart of the fluid with Lucas Oil transmission additive and probably get another 10k miles before things are really blown to hell.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

What about the defective TV bushing?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Late and slow shifting is typical of dried up seals.
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Late and slow shifting is typical of dried up seals.

Yep!

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

LithiumCobalt wrote:What about the defective TV bushing?
Bad TV bushing/adjustment would be a problem at all temperatures. OP stated the behaviour was only when cold and shifting was normal after warm up.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
78Cartier
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 78Cartier »

LithiumCobalt wrote:What about the defective TV bushing?
Wasn't that only an issue with '86 and newer MPFI cars? Or not? :smt102
1978 Continental Mark V Cartier
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If I remember correctly, Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid should be changed out regularly, unlike Type F transmission fluid that can stay in there for decades, barring any massive problems like overheating and burning of the fluid (that happened once to Frankenstein, when I first tried to move him on his own power--really scary). The '80s Lincolns used Dexron/Mercon.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

TonyC wrote: The '80s Lincolns used Dexron/Mercon.---Tony
For the transmissions, yes. But correct me if I'm wrong: I believe that the power steering systems in the 80s TCs specified Type F. It did in my '89 Grand Marquis.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

The reason that I'm so "jumpy" about having the transmission fluid & filter changed is the still-strong memory of having the transmission fluid changed on my '62, shortly after I bought it. It wasn't four months afterwards when the old TurboDrive lost third gear!! This is why I wonder if I'm better leaving it alone . . as is the opinion of some.

Update: my trans comes out of gear a little more often lately . . . though it's colder now, and that could be influencing things.

I still don't know what to do. I sure don't want to throw the car away----the A/C is still loaded with R-12 and blows COLD!!!!!
(at 28 years old, mind you)

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”