Power steering and transmission fluid

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Power steering and transmission fluid

Post by MikeJ »

All,

I need to know what fluid I need to use in my power steering reservoir on my '78 Mark. The manual in the glove box has a number ESW-M2C33-F which I assume is type F. The shop manual has D5Az-14582-A and ESW-M2C128-A which I can't find any reference too. I did a Google search and they have all kinds of stuff for ESW-M2C128-C,D but not A.

I also want to make sure the transmission uses Dexron III. D7AZ-19582-A and ESP-M2M138-CJ I goggled it a couple weeks ago and if I remember I found Dexron III. I goggled it today and nothing shows up.

Any suggestions would be great. I want to drain and fill the power steering reservoir and my transmission is leaking so I am going to have all new seals put in.

Just want to make sure I use the correct fluids.

Thanks for your response,
Mike Jensen
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Power steering and transmission fluid

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Ford switched from ESW-M2C33-F (Type F) to M2C128 before 1977. Your 78 should use that in the transmission. Today you would by Dexron (I, II, III, IV, etc.).

As for the power steering, double check that you have the right year owners manual and check the dipstick. The shop manual may not cover YOUR CAR specifically due to mid-model year changes. I think yours should be the same as my 77.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 2&p=175093
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

Dan,

If I remember the car was produced in 9/77. The owners manual is for a '78 and says ESW-M2C33-F which I assume is type F. What is confussing me is the shop manual has D5Az-14582-A and ESW-M2C128-A. I will have to look at the dip stick and see what is printed on it.

Does the letter C,D work if it calls for A?

thanks for you help Dan,

Mike
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What C or D? Please refer to the entire part number. The A, C, D is just the suffix.

Are you talking about the PS only now?
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

Dan,

Power steering pump.

The shop manual lists D5Az-14582-A and ESW-M2C128-A. When I do a google search for ESW-M2C128-A I can't find what the difference between A, C, D but the search brings up a lot of forums with ESW-M2C128-C and ESW-M2C128-D.

as an example when I do a google search: (The one I bought had the following statement: meets performance requirements of Ford ESW-M2C128-C and D. It also listed GM,Chrysler) and I found this (Ford 9M2C138-CJ, M2C33-F & ESW-M2C128-C&D Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 & TL-52146. GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Systems ...)

What is the difference between the last letter if it is an A or C or D?
I checked the dip stick last night and it does not specify which type.

Thanks,

Mike
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

You're supposed to use Type F in the power steering and Dexron in the transmission. Dan is right, Ford switched from Type F in the C6 starting in 77 because they wanted their transmissions to shift soft like GM's Hydra-Matic.

My question is, is it ok to use Mercon V in the 77-79 C6? Isn't it similar to Dexron?
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The last letter is the revision. M2C128-A, M2C128-B, M2C128-C, M2C128-D are just newer than the previous revision. All are backwards compatible.
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. I will use power steering fluid. It was confusing because the owners manual had type F and the shop manual had power steering fluid. I wonder why Ford only changed it in the Lincolns and not across the entire Ford line.

Mike
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I highly recommend flushing the PS fluid. Remove the return line and the primary spark plug wire, then crank the motor and let it push the fluid into a container. Don't run it empty. Then add more fresh fluid and repeat. Then reconnect and top off with fresh fluid.
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

I will do that Dan and thanks for clearing that up for me. It does not take much to confuse me.
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If there were a snicker emoticon in the collection of smilies, I'd post one. All the GMs I had never shifted softly. Initial engagements had always been harsh, even severe at times, and upshifts and downshifts were always easily noticeable (the Grand Am was better than the bigger cars, I'll admit, but shifts were still easy to notice). I think they just switched to Dexron because GM at the time was ruling American automotives, and they wanted to try and emulate GM to try and reduce costs; after all, Ford wasn't in the greatest of conditions in the late '70s, although they were far better off than Chrysler.

Running on Type F, Frankenstein's shifts had been almost unnoticeable...at least until very recently--now 1st gear engagement and downshifting to 1st have become very GM-like. I'm suspecting the valve body is acting up again.

---Tony

UPDATE: That harsh shifting was the sign of a big break. After a rebuild, the transmission is shifting like a new one. And I can confidently stick to my claim above about how smoothly it shifts compared to a GM tranny.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

MikeJ wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Dan. I will use power steering fluid. It was confusing because the owners manual had type F and the shop manual had power steering fluid. I wonder why Ford only changed it in the Lincolns and not across the entire Ford line. Mike
The '89 Grand Marquis owners manual specified Type F for the power steering (but Dexron for the trans). So, maybe it WAS "across the entire Ford line". I dunno.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”