Transmission Fluid measuring stick

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
march
Occasional Visitor

Transmission Fluid measuring stick

Post by march »

Can anyone tell me what the correct length of the stick should be?
I suspect my measuring stick is going in too deep. The stop washer goes past the 3 notches on the stick..
Thanks
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Transmission Fluid measuring stick

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Is this for a 72 Pinto?
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

This is out of a 72 pinto.
I don't think it matters how long the stick is as long as the rear is full of it.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

PO replaced mine with a short one causing tranny overfill. I replaced it with correct one which is 22 15/16" from bottom of cap to end of dipstick. Note: This is a 1963 .
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
march
Occasional Visitor

Post by march »

Ok, Thanks. This is for a 65.
The cap goes all the way to the top of the stick so I have no clue how much fluid should be in there.
The car doesn't launch forward at all initially. After going in Rev (which works great) a few times and then in Drive, it eventually goes forward. It really seems to take a while before the transmission works ok...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

If the cap is floating free on the stick, simply push it down the stick until it hits the tabs and either try re-staking the stick to hold the cap down or drill a small hole just above the cap and put a rivet in to hold it down. No need for a new dipstick.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:If the cap is floating free on the stick, simply push it down the stick until it hits the tabs and either try re-staking the stick to hold the cap down or drill a small hole just above the cap and put a rivet in to hold it down. No need for a new dipstick.
Agreed. I didn't realize this was the issue. The dipstick will have a couple of indents where the cap will not travel any farther down or up the dipstick. Just press it to that point and get the cap pop into place. It may have been forced out of it's seat.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
march
Occasional Visitor

Post by march »

Ok Thank you very much. I see the cap should have the 2 marks above it. I thought it went between the two..
65desperado
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 65desperado »

March,

Is that a second fuel filter on the line from the tank before the pump? Does it restrict flow?

Wade
Wade
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster
1977 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 2011 Silverado
My Thread in Member Projects
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Big can filters before the fuel pump are a good idea. They don't restrict flow enough that the car ever has performance problems.

However, I would hide it behind the rear drivers splash shield where there is a short section of fuel line separating the underbody steel fuel line that goes all the way back to the tank from the one that runs under the drivers fender.

Then again, you have a two-port fuel pump, too, so your stock appearance is already affected.
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Dan Szwarc wrote:However, I would hide it behind the rear drivers splash shield where there is a short section of fuel line separating the underbody steel fuel line that goes all the way back to the tank from the one that runs under the drivers fender.
Good idea Dan. Here is a picture of the setup that you suggest. It might be a good idea to replace these hidden now brittle fuel hoses even if no filter is installed.
Attachments
Front left splash shield removed, revealing fuel line with inline pump and filter
Front left splash shield removed, revealing fuel line with inline pump and filter

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”