torque converters - new? 66

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

torque converters - new? 66

Post by StevenH »

I've heard it mentioned new ones are available. Any vendors or part numbers come to mind? I ask because I don't see them on Rock Auto.

Thanks,
Steven
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: torque converters - new? 66

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Call your local tranny shop.
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

Post by StevenH »

If it is possible to fit / use the wrong one; I'd rather go in knowing what I need.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't understand what your last post means, but here are the PNs for the torque converters from the MPC. Ironically, it doesn't list a 66 converter for "D" (Lincoln), but it lists the same converter for all 67, 68 to 71 Lincolns, so my guess is the 66 is the same.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-11-22 at 4.24.54 PM.png
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

Post by StevenH »

Thanks for the list. My last comment means I've been having 'bad luck' when putting my faith in other people to know what to do to work on my car and/or if an operation can be done wrong it probably will. In this instance; if there are C6 converters that will bolt on and sorta work but poorly because they're not the right one for my car; this is what I'll get if I don't go in saying 'use this one'. :)

Bad luck gets expensive btw. It also makes it so I can't drive my car.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There are hundreds of models of torque converters for the C6. There are all kinds of specs that dictate how it will work. Stall speeds are the biggest differing spec I have seen searching.

If you don't have a shop you trust, I cannot help you.

Outside of the MPC, I don't have any other information.
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

Post by StevenH »

Dan Szwarc wrote:There are hundreds of models of torque converters for the C6. There are all kinds of specs that dictate how it will work. Stall speeds are the biggest differing spec I have seen searching.

If you don't have a shop you trust, I cannot help you.

Outside of the MPC, I don't have any other information.
I hear ya. But the question is open to everyone. If anyone knows what was put in their car that worked right... I'd be interested in knowing.

As to trust; well it is not just old cars. 'The' phone company [at&t] doesn't have people around who understand the old parts of their phone network, y2k showed that few people knew how to program in old computer languages (fortran and such) but the code in them is still in use, there are probably less than five people left in the country that are experts in high power directional AM antennas / radio, I met my first person who didn't know how to use a rotary phone... 20 years ago, I could go on. Its not incompetence; it's just people don't know... and it is getting hard to find anyone that does know.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

C6 big hub converter (the hub on the torque converter is 1.848"). They are relatively common and should be available. Any trans shop should be able to get one. I paid 90 dollars for mine about 6 years ago. They've gone up a bit since then... This is the unit I used: Torque Converter
The 462 makes peak torque at 1,400 RPM so you don't want a perfomance stall converter. A stock big hub C6 converter is what you ask for...
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

StevenH wrote:It's not incompetence; it's just people don't know.
That's called ignorance.

I know more about carbs now than I did 10 years ago. I read a book.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I read a book.
Lost art...
Rob
march
Occasional Visitor

Post by march »

What about for the 1965 430?
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

Post by StevenH »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
StevenH wrote:It's not incompetence; it's just people don't know.
That's called ignorance.

I know more about carbs now than I did 10 years ago. I read a book.
Sure is. Just like a cardiologist is ignorant of brain surgery.

I can't blame people for not reading a book (let a lone knowing where it is or which one) for something that does not come up for them more than once or twice in their career.
StevenH
Occasional Visitor

Post by StevenH »

66Lincoupe wrote:C6 big hub converter (the hub on the torque converter is 1.848"). They are relatively common and should be available. Any trans shop should be able to get one. I paid 90 dollars for mine about 6 years ago. They've gone up a bit since then... This is the unit I used: Torque Converter
The 462 makes peak torque at 1,400 RPM so you don't want a perfomance stall converter. A stock big hub C6 converter is what you ask for...
Thanks

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”