replacing power steering hose and transmission pan gasket on

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

replacing power steering hose and transmission pan gasket on

Post by shibbby911 »

well i finaly got my power steering hose off so i can drop it off 2maro to get another one made now i need to know wut kind of fluid do i put back in there? and im sure this is a stupid question but where do i feel it up at i didnt see any where to pour it.. also im goin to put a new gasket on the transmission pan what oil do i use?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: replacing power steering hose and transmission pan gasket on

Post by TonyC »

You're just learning the little nuances of these cars, so it's not a stupid question. :wink: You will use exactly the same thing you use in the transmission--Type F transmission fluid. WARNING: DO NOT use any Dexron/Mercon-based fluid in your car! Those fluids are formulated differently and are not compatible with your transmission or steering system. Some here have said they've successfully converted their older transmissions to use Dexron (primarily because it's a bit more commonly found than Type F--but anyone who knows about Wal-Mart will not have issues with finding Type F fluid!), but that involves a total breakdown, cleanup, and rebuild of the transmission. Type F and Dexron make an ugly mix; and even residue of one or the other, mixing with the different type, will tear things up. Stick with Type F.

For the steering, you pour it in through the dipstick tube. Of course, you'll need a funnel to do it.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

ok thanks for the help tony hopefuly i can get it all done 2maro but then im sure i will find some more problems once i take it for a test drive lol
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

so i finaly put my new power steering hose on today but now my windshield wipers wont go off any body no why?

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”