Mixing type F in power steering reservoir

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Mixing type F in power steering reservoir

Post by autostick »

Dang, there is a lot of posts about ATF but my search did not reveal if I can mix type F with dexron or other types of tranny fluid in the power steering system. Seems to me that the fluid properties are much less stringent for power steering, so am I going to get into trouble if I mix type F with other trans fluids in my power steering reservoir?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Mixing type F in power steering reservoir

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I dont think mixing would be OK. I would stick with Type F and have fewer worries. If it is already mixed, I would purge and fill with F only. IMO
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I second that "no," loudly. Mixing Type F and Dexron is a terrible idea, unless we're talking about a recycle barrel. If such a mistake can destroy a transmission, it can destroy the power steering. Remember, the pump is an extremely temperamental component that demands exact care if it's going to survive. Any deviation from its stringent requirements will be eventually fatal. That is exactly why nobody here will recommend using the "pink stuff" in these systems--save for a small handful of examples (I had seen bottles of power steering fluid before that specified on their labels that they were Type-F-spec compliant, but they are very uncommon), those fluids simply do not have the proper lubrication needs for the system.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Open the return line into a bucket. Crank the engine without starting to pump out fluid. When the reservoir is mostly low (you don't want to run dry) add more fluid and repeat.

Then run the car and turn in the wipers and turn the wheels back and forth a couple times. Repeat this whole process a we times, adding more fresh Type F. Eventually, you will have most of it out.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I think this was a reasonable question. Type F fluid does not have friction modifiers in it like Dextron, which may make a difference with clutch plates in transmissions, but since there are no clutch plates in the wiper motor or power steering system I do not see any reason this would cause any harm.

The only issues I have read is that Hondas and GM cars have power steering systems that require the friction modifiers of the later fluids.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Trust me, that steering pump is extremely temperamental. Great idea, and great when it works; but its operating requirements are even more strict than the transmission's. If ignored, it will self-destruct, and in short order.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
march
Occasional Visitor

Post by march »

So you guys put transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir? not steering fluid?
Is the ACE hardware store type F ok?

Thanks
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

thanks so much for posting this Todd, I have been using the two interchangeably. A very fluid thought.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This article only applies to modern cars.

You NEVER want to put power steering fluid in a 60s Lincoln's system. You absolutely MUST use type F in the system as that is what it was designed to use. (As for using Dexron or mixing the two, I'll get back to you.) Baker's tried using modern PS fluid (not sure what kind) in a 60s PS system and the pump self-destructed within minutes. I guess it has to do with the design of the pump that was no good with new PS fluid.

The rule is to use what the manufacturer specified. Sometimes modern fluids can replace old-fashioned fluids, but in the case of 60s PS systems the answer is NO.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

march wrote:So you guys put transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir? not steering fluid?
Is the ACE hardware store type F ok?

Thanks
As long as the bottle says "Meets Ford M2C33-C or D" then you are good to go.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dan's absolutely right; the steering system was constructed for the Type F specifications, and it must be strictly adhered to, unless you want to replace a $400 steering pump every year.

I have seen some power steering fluids that specified on their labels that they comply with the M2C33 requirements; but they are few and far between, so it's best to just use Type F transmission fluid, which is plentiful in the parts stores and Wal-Mart (the latter being easier on the wallet).

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

AmmoHouse
Occasional Visitor

Post by AmmoHouse »

I'm so close to getting my Linc back on the road that I can smell it.
I got ATF for the trans and power steering...no power steeering fluid required that I have read.
Hopefully I'm doing the right thing...I don't want to take this bastard apart for awhile!!!
USAF
AMMO!

'67 Lincoln..."EL GUAPO"
Mountain Pilot
Occasional Visitor

Post by Mountain Pilot »

The new to me Mark-V has unknown fluid in it.
Will go ahead and drain the system. What brand of Type-F is best overall. My car has 72,000 miles on it and runs great. Be that as it may, this week plans are to replace the tranny fluid also.
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado USA
- 1978 Mark-V - 1990 Jaguar - 1987 Fiero and Three Corvairs -

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”