Mixing type F in power steering reservoir

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
mikem
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Mixing type F in power steering reservoir

Post by mikem »

IMO both fluids are ok for use in the power steering only applications.This is from the castrol site which also says the same .

The same is not true for Ford M2C-33 automatic transmission fluids
and DEXRON®, or DEXRON® type fluids. Many people falsely believe
they are interchangeable or one is better than the other. True, both
fluids are usually red, essentially the same viscosity and seal
compatibility with good oxidation resistance and wear performance
so that for hydraulic and power steering applications they are
interchangeable, miscible and compatible.
1958 Convertible X(2)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I may be wrong, but I don't think so: Where the '60s steering setups are concerned, I would never take a general-auto claim as gospel; Castrol hasn't dealt with those Lincoln steering systems in over 40 years, so no one there will ever remember how temperamental those steering systems were. That statement is most likely correct for modern-day hydro-steering systems, like from the mid-'70s to present; but the '60s Lincoln systems were nothing like the modern ones.

Mountain Pilot, I'll go on a limb and say that you should not concern yourself with labels. Where transmission fluid is concerned, the type, not the company who marketed it, is what matters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a year when Ford switched to GM fluids in the C-6s? I thought it was in the late '70s, but as I said, I may be confused.

Oh, your steering--although tranny fluid may suffice, I think that by the late '70s they switched to the pink stuff, so you should be good with the pink stuff in your steering if that's the case. So that should make anything except motor oil usable in your steering system, if Castrol is correct.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
SDContinental
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by SDContinental »

I use Dexron III in both the PS and Tranny in my 61 for years. So far so good, no noises, or leaks. Type F wasn't even available in the early 60's, so Dexron fluid was used for both units. But like many of you have already touched on, you must flush and drain out whatever existing fluid is in there first, just to be safe, then you can add the specific fluid to your likening.

Now on my 78 Conti, Type F is required for the PS and that's what I use, not totally sure about the transmission though. I added Mercon V to the 78 C6, without any probs. I believe going synthetic or using the latest fluids will better protect the trans.
61 Lincoln Continental Sedan....Sold
78 Lincoln Continental Sedan......Current
93 Lincoln Town Car......Past
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I don't have an owner's manual for my '85 Town Car. I did for my '89 Grand Marquis, which stated to use Dexron for the transmission but to use Type F for the power steering system. This strongly suggests to me that 80s Town Cars should use Type F for their power steering systems.

While I'm not as adamant as Tony, I do believe in using Type F for old(er) Lincolns' power steering systems, from at least as far back as the 60s [50s?], all the way through the late 1980s. My two cents.
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

BigGman wrote:I use Dexron III in both the PS and Tranny in my 61 for years. So far so good, no noises, or leaks. Type F wasn't even available in the early 60's, so Dexron fluid was used for both units. But like many of you have already touched on, you must flush and drain out whatever existing fluid is in there first, just to be safe, then you can add the specific fluid to your likening.
Okay, so somebody please explain, Ford invented Type F tranny fluid in 1967, right? So how does my 1963 transmission require type F fluid?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

It was actually Type A suffix A in 1963, so I just run Dex III for that reason. It's a huge debate here on the forum as to F or Dex, but it's ultimately your vehicle to install which ever you choose. I really dont know which is the true "correct" one, honestly.
I have run Dex III since I purchased my sedan in 2008. Complete flush. Zero issues. My power steering, I haven't changed and am not sure what's even in there, as I've never had to top or fill, yet. There was a quart of F in the trunk when I bought the vehicle, but IDK if he was using it for trans of PS fill.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

BigGman wrote: Type F wasn't even available in the early 60's
I don't believe this claim, with all due respect.

Maybe the term, "Type F", wasn't used fifty and more years ago; but I strongly believe that FoMoCo recommended whatever they or oil companies called it before use of said term.

I would think that someone like Walter Higgins or Morgan Milstead would have better information. Many times, it takes someone older than the cars in question to really know what they needed, or what was specified by the manufacturer. But, to be fair, FoMoCo documentation from the mid-to-late Fifties should provide proper light on this subject.
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

All 50's and 60's Lincolns should have type F in both the transmission and power steering systems. It's EZ to get the right stuff at any auto parts store coast to coast. Type F and FA is the same product. Brand is not a big deal as all of it comes from a handful of refineries. If in doubt, flush it out! Many cars have a 'witches brew' of old and mixed fluids especially in the power steering systems which lead to premature failure of expensive parts.
mikem
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mikem »

I still disagree. Type "A" is the correct fluid as per service manuals.
I came across this a while ago FWIW

The original Dexron fluid, like its predecessor Type-A/Suffix-A, used sperm whale oil as a friction modifier. The U.S. Endangered Species Act banned the import of sperm whale oil, so the fluid had to be reformulated.[1]
1958 Convertible X(2)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

autostick wrote:Okay, so somebody please explain, Ford invented Type F tranny fluid in 1967, right? So how does my 1963 transmission require type F fluid?
Because it was actually 1960 when it came out, not 1967.

From this thread: ATF Correct fluid refill for Type A, Suffix A
Since M2C33-A/B was published by Ford as a manufacturing standard in September, 1959, should the 1960 materials published in October, 1959 have properly designated M2C33-A/B as the specified fluid, or was there a distinct reason for not doing so then (due to publishing deadlines), and then later not making the correction during the model year?

The C0AZ-19582 transmission fluid part number should be duly noted.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”