Should I change 12k mile fluid?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Should I change 12k mile fluid?

Post by 1977lincolnmarkv »

I have a 77 Mark V Givenchy with the majestic cloth interior and the car is 100% original and hasnt been driven since 79. I changed all the fluid in the except for the transmission fluid. It is nice and pink and has a a very nice odor. Should I just leave it alont?
thegermanfan
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Should I change 12k mile fluid?

Post by thegermanfan »

oil additives are not made to last forever. transmission fuild change is not very complicated or expensive, just messy. If you install a drain plug in the transmission oil pan, it won't be such a nuisance in the future.
1974 Lincoln Mark IV -triple black-
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Offerering a different opinion, I say no.

Tranny fluid is not like oil or antifreeze. It's doesn't really breakdown with time.
Changing it could cause more problems than not at this point.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

(IMO) :D

ATF does break down just as engine oil or gasoline does. If the fluid appears fresh, hopefully the previous owner had the trans serviced before putting it in storage. Also by appearing fresh, there are no known or visible (as shown by dirty fluid) problems with the trans, where a fluid change might bring a quicker death.

I would service it (in fact, I would have it flushed and service it).
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The owners manual probably calls it "lifetime" fluid but Ford did not plan on lifetime bring over 30 years.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I would change the transmission fluid given that it might be over 30 years old.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

No, the car had only had 2 oil changes before going into storage. The oil when I changed it was BLACK and gritty and awful. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I did order an NOS filter and gasket and was going to change the fluid but I'm serious that the fluid is as fresh as new, that is as far as the smell and the feel of viscosity. Im almost of the belief, if it isnt broke don't fix it. On the other hand 33 years is a long time for a fluid to be in an enclosed case. The brake fluid when I changed it didnt have ANY sludge in the bottom of the resivoir and it wasnt acidic. It wasnt really even dark. A little amber but I would say in pretty good shape. The car came from Washington State so that is why it really is like new. Thank you again for your advise. The belts and hoses are still soft and not cracked or buldging so Im almost thinking of leaving the fluid as is.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There are a lot of low mileage Lincolns out there with the original tranny fluid and no problems. I don't think old fluid causes problems. Does it contribute to hardened seals? Does transmission fluid have a shelf life? Does it oxidize with age and lose effectiveness?
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

1977lincolnmarkv wrote:
Im almost thinking of leaving the fluid as is.
:?

Then, why did you bother to ask?
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

He's asked for opinions and advice and has to make the decision himself.

My 77 probably has the original fluid in it. 101,000 miles and still going strong.
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

KULTULZ wrote:I would have it flushed
Oh, yikes!, I would stay *away* from flushing a transmission. It back-flows all the crud around, getting it stuck in places it never would have been in the natural course of operation. And flushing is supposed to remove all of the original fluid in one go. That's a controversial subject on a transmission that you have no knowledge of frequency of changes or age of the fluid.

The only way I would change the fluid in that situation is to only replace the fluid that's in the pan and clean the screen, and repeat 2 or 3 more times every 7,500 miles until you've replaced the entire capacity of the transmission. Better yet, if the thing runs fine, don't mess with it at all. My latest is up to 116K miles and I have no idea what anybody has ever done fluid-wise to my tranny. I just keep the fluid at the correct level and pray.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Dan Szwarc wrote:My 77 probably has the original fluid in it. 101,000 miles and still going strong.
Well, I have to retract that remark. My tranny started acting up in Lincoln, Nebraska. I had it rebuilt. The shop said it had been done before.
So two rebuilds in 33 years and 103,000 miles. Not great.
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Im sorry. I wouldnt even consider a flush, yes I did it once and had to rebuild a car with only 32k miles. It acted up the second I drove away from the shop. Then it failed. No, I would do a flush but change the fluid, filter and gasket. As for change the fluid I have decided to leave it along. The transmission guy said since the car sat for so long, if I were to put in a new HIGH detergent transmission fluid it would reak havoc. He said the seal are probobly dry anyway and if I just drove it I might be able to get by and the seals would come back to life, that is if they havent dried totally out. If they have and I put in the new fluid it would cause the seals to try and swell and at that point break crumble. He said leave it, drive it, the fluid looks and smells fresh and hope that by not driving it that the seals didnt get hard.
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

I'm in total agreement with leaving the fluid alone! Should the seals harden and al eak develop, then I would have the seals changed and fluid changed. Totally agree NO POWER FLUSHES! I suspect the fluid is just fine and the seals should be fine also. Just drive it easily like a Lincoln should be driven. Good Luck!
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Putting my two cents in. For my daily driver ive been flushing the trans every 30k (thats what they claim, so i went with it). But i have been doing it since the car was new, so there isnt that much crud that can settle that would later be pushed into places where it would cause trouble. The Ford has 111k on it, and its running the way it should

I tend to believe that a flush has the potential to cause more problems if it has never been done, or even if its questionable though. On Lorelei, i think she is on the original fluid, so there will only be top offs. I never had to, since ive had it, Its been fine, in color consistency and level
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”