Should I change 12k mile fluid?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Should I change 12k mile fluid?

Post by John Mc »

autostick wrote:I am compelled to add my 100K transmission fluid change experience to this thread. I had the dealer change the tranny fluid in my 100,000 mile Ford Windstar. A few thousand miles later the transmission failed completely, requiring a reman replacement. I then noticed the dealer invoice specified 6 quarts of tranny fluid, whereas the capacity of this transmission was 12 quarts.

A protracted letter writing campaign ensued. The dealer claimed he was running a 2 for 1 special and only charged me for 6 quarts as the other 6, totaling 12, were gratis. I questioned his assertion that he gave me 6 "free" quarts without ever mentioning it. The dealer also said "the Windstars unfortunately have a higher than normal transmission failure rate" and refused to take any responsibility for the failure, and told me to write the FMC Customer Assistance Center in Dearborn.

All letters to Dearborn went unanswered. The dealer at least answered my letters, but the last one he sent was a doozie. He wrote "I did the research that I suggested you do and have enclosed it with this letter." Much to my amazement he included photocopies of a cartrackers.com forum with the running title ALL WINDSTARS ARE LEMONS.

I sent copies of the dealer's letter with the "windstar lemon" attachments to Jac Nasser, Jim Schroer, Bob Rewey, Richard Parry-Jones, etc, (basically, the CEO and Executive Board of Ford Motor Co). I related the history, repeated the continuous quality improvement lessons I received at the Fairlane Training & Development Center, and most important, expressed concern about a dealer who sends his Ford owners a message that states all Windstars are lemons, hoping for the sake of stockholders this practice is not widespread. I also mentioned the quality build of my Lincoln from an era when Ford was a global quality leader.

Soon after that I received a letter with a voucher for $3000 toward any new Ford vehicle. With this I purchased my first new car ever, after a lifetime of auto auctions or used private purchases. I am pleased to say the replacement Ford Windstar was very well built, dependable, and went over 100,000 before being totaled by a red light runner. Even in its death, it protected the occupants who walked away from a quality vehicle.
Ergo, I would change, not flush, the tranny fluid but I would definitely do it myself.
I'd say the clear lesson here is change your transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. I've done it that for for the last 35 years and no car of mine has ever generated a trans repair reciept. I could not care less what the manufacturer says - change it at 30,000 miles. What does it cost, $150? What does a new trans cost? Case closed.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”