Transmission just rebuilt, What Fluid should I use?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Transmission just rebuilt, What Fluid should I use?

Post by Suicidekid63 »

The original post was about a 1960 Lincoln, which isn't a C6 and doesn't use Type F.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Correct. The answer is ask your tranny shop.
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Post by 1977lincolnmarkv »

I just talked with my best friend Chuch Goode about his 61 Lincoln (which he has had over 15) which has its original transmssion and he changes the fluid but said originally he used Ford "F" fluid and then started using Dextron III. He said Dextron was basically GM's "A" fluid and he said if he had used that it would have ruined his transmission for sure causing slippage and eventually destroying it. He said if your going to change your fluid on your suicide door Continental then use Dextron III as it has proporties which will be ok with that type of transmission. He mentioned that the C6 he was told not to use anything but the "F" type fluid. If your doing just a fluid change I would use what was recommended or as Dan say's, " ASK your tranny shop". If your doing a rebuild let your transmission guy use what he wants in it because if it starts to go out you have a warranty and he will have to deal with any problems that occur. My transmission guy gives a 24k mile/ 24 month warranty on his work. So, do as you think best.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

1977lincolnmarkv wrote:I just talked with my best friend Chuch Goode about his 61 Lincoln (which he has had over 15) which has its original transmssion and he changes the fluid but said originally he used Ford "F" fluid and then started using Dextron III. He said Dextron was basically GM's "A" fluid and he said if he had used that it would have ruined his transmission for sure causing slippage and eventually destroying it. He said if your going to change your fluid on your suicide door Continental then use Dextron III as it has proporties which will be ok with that type of transmission. He mentioned that the C6 he was told not to use anything but the "F" type fluid. If your doing just a fluid change I would use what was recommended or as Dan say's, " ASK your tranny shop". If your doing a rebuild let your transmission guy use what he wants in it because if it starts to go out you have a warranty and he will have to deal with any problems that occur. My transmission guy gives a 24k mile/ 24 month warranty on his work. So, do as you think best.
This sound correct. PO of my '63 used Type F. I changed to DexIII because manual called for Type A Suffix A. I COMPLETELY drained all type F from tranny and converter and then filled with DexIII. This was done 3 1/2 years ago and I've had zero slippage issues and shift characteristics are fine. Basically my opinion is, DexIII is fine for replacement of Type A Suffix A and if your manual calls for Type F, use Type F, but never mix Type F and DexIII together. I always use Type F in my powersteering pump, though.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

Several times it was stated only use Type F in C6 transmissions. I will have to look at the dip stick when I get home. I thought they changed the fluid in '79 to something other than type F. My memory is failing so I will look and see what it has on my '79.

MikeJ
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
MikeJ
Frequent Contributor

Post by MikeJ »

I guess my post didn't work from my phone last night. Well I looked at my dip stick which is a '79 and this is what was on it. ESP-M2C138-CJ oil. I looked it up and what I found Ford in '77 changed the clutches and you should use Dex/Merc II.

I understand the original post was for a '60. Since it was mentioned a couple times that all C6 takes type F I wanted to post what I found.

MikeJ
'62 LC
'78 Mark V Cartier
'79 LC Collectors Blue
'96 TC Cartier
'68 Riviera
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

MikeJ wrote:I understand the original post was for a '60. Since it was mentioned a couple times that all C6 takes type F I wanted to post what I found.

MikeJ
All pre-1977s likely used type F fluid. My 66 says to use Type F, but the word on the street is that all modern transmission rebuilds need to use Dexron because clutch materials are no longer manufactured to work with type F fluid. So if you have your 1966 to 1976 C6 transmission rebuilt, you should use Dexron.

As always, ask your transmission shop what fluid to use after they do a rebuild.
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

yea when i had my 68' C6 rebuilt i was told to use the newest dexron for top ups now.
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
edge04
Occasional Visitor

Post by edge04 »

so is there any way of know what fluid I have. It is red in color. Or do I just have to drain and refill? It's a C6 in a 68
JLincolnLimo

Post by JLincolnLimo »

I'm looking into having the transmission rebuild from a 1960 Continental.
Does anyone have suggestions where to have it rebuilt?
Thank you!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Have it rebuilt at a local transmission shop after confirming that they are familiar with the type of transmission a 1960 Lincoln uses and that they can get parts.

You have to do this research yourself.

We don’t know where you live.

We don’t maintain a database of shops.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”