Lincolns and typical value

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by defrang »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I have just recently acquired a 66 convertible in primer and bondo form. It has a decent driver original interior. 75k miles. Runs, but is not driveable beyond small moving around (brakes need work).

It's mostly there, but has some serious issues underneath and with Windows and the top. The black leather rear seat is in very good condition.

It's for sale. I've seen total wrecks asking $5000. This way better. Any ideas what's fair?

Dan,
If there is no serious frame rust, sell it for 8-10,000. The new owner will likely put 20,000 and a lot of hard work and have a 30+,000 dollar car.
Robert DeFrang
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Mecum just sold a nice looking white 1966 convertible for $50,000.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Just my opinion, but Mecum and Barrett-Jackson does not reflect average real world prices. Most of the people there have way more money to burn than they know what to do with. Put these cars in a normal forum with people that are relative experts and they wouldn't go anywhere close to these numbers. I've seen some totally incorrect stuff go for stupid amounts of money. It proves two things. One, there's something for everyone and, two, there's a lot of people with more money than brains.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
dan0

Post by dan0 »

I unfortunately need to sell my Lincoln project. I lost my job in October and need the cash. I have seen a lot more Continentals coming up on eBay but the values range quite a bit. This one is a bit a project. Could be back on the road with too much work, but someone may prefer to restore it at some point.

From when I first got it: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 92#p389292
Current Pictures in the garage: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GLQDiNmiJGoItdGX2

I did a little online evaluation from Hagerty's site and it had fair value estimated at $4200, so with it needing some work I was hoping it would be worth somewhere around $3k
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Valuation of any car needs to be done on sale prices not asking prices. Ebay SOLD auctions are a good place to start. Demand in your area also has to be considered. No demand, no value.

It sucks. Sorry about your job loss.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I have just recently acquired a 66 convertible in primer and bondo form. It has a decent driver original interior. 75k miles. Runs, but is not driveable beyond small moving around (brakes need work).

It's mostly there, but has some serious issues underneath and with Windows and the top. The black leather rear seat is in very good condition.

It's for sale. I've seen total wrecks asking $5000. This way better. Any ideas what's fair?
I sold this piece of crap car for $3600 on ebay. After fees, it was about $3400. It was a parts car, for sure. It went to Thailand.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Valuation of any car needs to be done on sale prices not asking prices. Ebay SOLD auctions are a good place to start. Demand in your area also has to be considered. No demand, no value.

Not a lot of demand in the area. eBay sold auctions seems to be from $2000 - $5000 going back to September. All of those were running. Some had similar rust.

Going to look forward to the free listing sites now. Tried contacting a couple of wanted ads (general classic vehicle searcher) and Baker Auto, seeing if they would be interested to strip it for parts. There is a local garage to me (next street from my house) that does a lot of classic vehicles as well I may reach out to see if they would be interested.

If I could afford to keep it it would be nice but other than the money I could use the garage space back as well.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Baker Auto, seeing if they would be interested to strip it for parts
They may not even take your car for free.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

dan0 wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:Valuation of any car needs to be done on sale prices not asking prices. Ebay SOLD auctions are a good place to start. Demand in your area also has to be considered. No demand, no value.

Not a lot of demand in the area. eBay sold auctions seems to be from $2000 - $5000 going back to September. All of those were running. Some had similar rust.

Going to look forward to the free listing sites now. Tried contacting a couple of wanted ads (general classic vehicle searcher) and Baker Auto, seeing if they would be interested to strip it for parts. There is a local garage to me (next street from my house) that does a lot of classic vehicles as well I may reach out to see if they would be interested.

If I could afford to keep it it would be nice but other than the money I could use the garage space back as well.
Where is it or you located? Your profile doesn't have your location.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
dan0

Post by dan0 »

action wrote:
Where is it or you located? Your profile doesn't have your location.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Connecticut
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Just to give you an idea, I'm up near Calais, Maine and I paid $1300CAD for my 77 Town Car in better condition than this back in October. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to your car, just giving you an honest opinion.

The seller had it listed at $2500 and the world was not beating a path to his door. The US was in his back yard (basically 30 minutes from the border) so the car being in Canada wasn't really an issue.
Dan LeBlanc

1977 Continental in Town Car trim
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Post by wmaloney »

Did anyone see this in real time? I assume it must have been as a result of a bidding war between two stubborn bidders. Otherwise I can't explain why anyone would pay $143,000 for a 63 LCC, even if it is triple black and restored. Wow.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E ... BLE-213251
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

And restored incorrectly!
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Meh, typical Barrett-Jackson where there is overwhelmingly more money than brains present, as usual. Nothing more to see. Makes me want to slap together one of these cars and send it over there. Obviously there are a lot of people willing to pay big money for incorrectly restored cars.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham