Lincolns and typical value

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jnorthstar

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by jnorthstar »

I am searching for a Lincoln Coupe, not opposed to a Mark IV. I posted in "wanted." Here is a coupe and a Mark IV. The Mark IV is local, like 5 miles from me.

I was told I would get feedback on cars I was considering. If you would like to comment, please do.

This Mark IV is local.
http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/fo ... l-mark-iv/

This coupe is in North Carolina, and I am on the West Coast. Those chrome exhaust tips would have to go first.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lincoln-C ... pQ&vxp=mtr
John
mlj427
Frequent Contributor

Post by mlj427 »

I don’t have any specific criticism on either. They both look great. I like the coupes color better then the marks. Be careful to check the vinyl tops for rust. Those little bubbles IF they have them cost a lot of money to repair. Because you usually have to pull the interior so you can have the metal welded in. Also I lean towards the Continental coupe because I have a 72.
Attachments
2958DD85-4C4F-4389-8D44-7A00629C1FE3.jpeg
1972 Lincoln Continental coupe
jnorthstar

Post by jnorthstar »

Thanks for the input. I really like your 72 coupe.
John
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

Low mileage always commands a premium price, so while the Mark IV has that, the coupe with higher miles does not seem to warrant the high price. Personally I would rather avoid ones with low miles though. These cars do not like to sit, and end up needing lots of things once you start driving them. Plus every time you take it out for a drive, the value drops a little as you put more miles on it. I would rather get one in good shape with a few more miles on it for a lower price, and have fun driving it.

Both cars are also being sold by dealers. While I do not know anything about these particular dealers, I would avoid them also. They charge a premium because they want a huge profit. Also they are more likely to overinflate condition in their description and even lie. Some even do cheap quick fixes in order to have the car running so it can sell. It also seems odd that there are only pictures of the dash and door panels on the coupe, and none of the seats. I would guess it is because they don't look as good.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
sams2100
Occasional Visitor

Post by sams2100 »

LINC400 wrote:Both cars are also being sold by dealers. While I do not know anything about these particular dealers, I would avoid them also.
I've had nothing but misery from dealers. They typically lie, hide broken issues as best they can, and charge a premium for all this terrible service. (as already mentioned)

Highly recommend finding an owner selling his car.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I have no issues buying from dealers. You just have to know what to look for. Drive the car, inspect everything and test everything. Don’t take their word for anything. See for yourself. No different than buying from a private seller. I’m personally biased towards the ‘73. Never really could warm up to the Mark IV design.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

In terms of buying used cars, not classics or antiques, I've had far more trouble with private sellers than with dealers. I have been duped by private sellers more than I want to admit. I guess I just can't smell a rat. Wayne
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

There are "good" dealers and "bad" dealers just as there are "good" private sellers and "bad" private sellers. I wouldn't necessarily rule out considering cars from either. As far as asking prices, they're just asking prices and both dealers and private sellers can be unrealistic (or greedy) about how much they want for a car. Check out the car, have it inspected by a professional and do your research. If a dealer or private seller is asking more than you think the car is worth, make an offer and back it up with "data" to support your price and why you think they are overpriced. It doesn't mean they will agree or be willing to meet your price but that's part of negotiating.

If you can't agree on a fair price, simply walk. You are not obligated to buy just as they are not obligated to sell. If the car is truly overpriced, it will likely go unsold and the seller may come back to you later on more willing to come closer to or perhaps even meet your price.
jnorthstar

Post by jnorthstar »

Thank you all for taking the time to review. My search continues.
John
jnorthstar

Post by jnorthstar »

This Mark IV is coming up for auction at Mecum Portland. Thinking of registering to bid. I like the 72, no 5 mph bumpers. My cousin had this exact 72 Mark given to her as wedding present, brand new. I remember walking to the parking lot at the wedding reception, and being shown this awesome new car. Opera windows? Wow was all i could think of.

Yes, I would replace those wheels and go to originals.

Here is the link.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/PJ0618-32903 ... n-mark-iv/
John
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Sedan prices on the rise.....OK car, but $20k+ with non-working AC?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Lincoln-C ... Z5&vxp=mtr

Seems to be more desire for the 61-65 body style recently. I prefer the 66+, myself.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TONYCinPDX

Post by TONYCinPDX »

jnorthstar wrote:I am searching for a Lincoln Coupe, not opposed to a Mark IV. I posted in "wanted." Here is a coupe and a Mark IV. The Mark IV is local, like 5 miles from me.

I was told I would get feedback on cars I was considering. If you would like to comment, please do.

This Mark IV is local.
http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/fo ... l-mark-iv/

This coupe is in North Carolina, and I am on the West Coast. Those chrome exhaust tips would have to go first.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lincoln-C ... pQ&vxp=mtr
John my friend is likely selling his 67 continual coupe. It's white. $20k+/- don't know. He bought it from a former Globe Trotter. Had it painted. I think red interor. Portland, OR. tonycarpenter@windermere.com my email
6/14/2018. I've never owned a classic car. Hardly worked on a car. I'm 42yo. I like 1960s Lincoln Continentals. I imagine my wife, my son our Great Dane driving down the street in an convertible. I just bought a house without a garage. That's Portland, OR. I'd love any advice, tips, help possible. Cheers!
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

To go back to the original post by Dan, I am also wondering why the old classics are not worth much. In my case, the 1949 Cosmopolitan Town Sedan I picked was because it was one of a kind. No other Lincolns ever had the fastback. Only 3 years of them had that huge engine. Only 7302 of the Town Sedans (fastback) were made. I will obviously spend more money making it look close to original than it will be worth, but just knowing that I have a very unique car that most people have never seen, I will feel proud. I don't plan on selling it for a long time. Here in Georgia it has become a very competitive place to produce movies, who knows...maybe someone will want to make an early 1950s movie and they will need some local cars! That would be fun.

Steve
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

The only reason to do it, is because you love doing it. If you are doing it to make money, put the initial purchase price in a mutual fund, and then put 10% of that in the fund every year to be roughly equivalent of what it will cost you to own and maintain a car. You will make money. If you love the car, want to enjoy working on it, enjoy taking it to shows and car events, then do it. But do it because it's fun. In the end, unless you fall into a very rare class of very rare cars, you will be lucky to break even when the time comes to pass it on to a new owner.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Next to a new car, an antique car is the second worst investment that anyone can make. I love my 63, but I'd also love to have all of the money that I've spent on it since 1995. I'm guessing that it is double what I could sell it for today. Wayne