Lincolns and typical value

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Lincolns and typical value

Post by Dan Szwarc »

To avoid directly insulting and thread-crapping users' posts trying to sell their cars, please post all discussion regarding price and value in this thread.

Think an owner is asking too much? Wondering what your Lincoln is worth? Post it here and only here.

At one time my house was worth over $250,000. Now, probably about $60,000. I paid $10,000 for my 1966 LIncoln in 1998. I have since performed thousands of dollars in value in labor, repairs, and detailing. It might be worth $25,000. It might be worth $15,000. I have no idea, since I'm not trying to sell. However, I had trouble unloading a very nice running and complete Lincoln convertible for a measly $8K last summer. What has happened to our market?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I agree. You see 60's GM cars that every part can be bought for new, aftermarket, sell for $25g+ e.g. Chevelle, Camaro, Cadillac, etc., but these very nice Lincolns are having a hard time busting 10G. Does the high cost / in-availability of parts have to do with this? I just dont get it. I know they can be complicated to work on, but a Lincoln is an icon in American auto's and one would think they would bring more.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Lincolns and typical value: what would you pay 63 vert?

Post by autostick »

Great new thread Dan. So here is my question, no wrong answer is possible. How much would you pay for this 1963 Lincoln Convertible? This is a real sale so no fair if you already visited the site and know the asking price. Just wondering what most would pay for this vehicle:
Vehicle Description: This classic car is lots of fun. White exterior - teal blue interior. We bought it to restore it - ran out of money MODEL #3Y86N401266 WILLING TO NEGOTIATE.....NEED TO DOWN SIZE!
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Looks like a new top. If all of that worked, I'd say 15G, unseen.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I'm a cheap bast*rd, so if the body is in good shape and it runs, I'd only go $10,000. I am looking for a 63 vert, where is this one, Ken?
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

As to the question of value....I know this will sound like a not-very-thoughtful answer, but I think quite true. It is mainly the Demand side of the classic supply and demand relationship. May be hard for some of us to accept, or understand, but the fact is there are more people in the world that want Chevelles and Camaros,and the like, than those who want a classic Lincoln. Can and probably will change with time, but who knows which direction? I'm ok with that. Sure, I wish they were "worth" more when I'm selling...I am an expert at buying and improving with my heart more than with my head, and ending up in the inevitable upside down position. Overall though, I consider myself quite fortunate to have fallen most hard (I like lot's of different cars) for the Lincolns. I love these cars....they just do it for me, and I'm glad that I don't have to spend a fortunte to find a really nice one. Now just need to sell a couple so I can get back there!
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
VintageLincoln
Frequent Contributor

Post by VintageLincoln »

Dan Szwarc wrote:However, I had trouble unloading a very nice running and complete Lincoln convertible for a measly $8K last summer. What has happened to our market?
That's a damn good deal. :shock:
Lincoln Continental, only the odometer knows it's age
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Good old fashioned demand is certainly a big part of it. I also think that auction companies like Barrett-Jackson are partially "responsible" for increases in values (or value expectations) for cars like Camaros, Corvettes, Chrysler Hemis, etc. but it still takes willing buyers to make the sale. Lincolns often sell at relative bargains by comparison.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Lincolns and typical value: what would you pay 63 vert?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

autostick wrote:Great new thread Dan. So here is my question, no wrong answer is possible. How much would you pay for this 1963 Lincoln Convertible? This is a real sale so no fair if you already visited the site and know the asking price. Just wondering what most would pay for this vehicle:
Vehicle Description: This classic car is lots of fun. White exterior - teal blue interior. We bought it to restore it - ran out of money MODEL #3Y86N401266 WILLING TO NEGOTIATE.....NEED TO DOWN SIZE!
Unfortunately, I do not know my own market outside of 1966 and 1977!
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

As to the value of the '63 convertible that autostick posted above, it may be worth $10K or $20K or even $30K depending on what it needs to make it in to a number 1 or 2 condition car. In number 3 condition it is probably worth $10K to $15K. In number 1 condition the car will probably sell for 35K on the open market. Yes, values are down but just a few weeks ago I saw a very nice '61 convertible sell at auction for $45K in Fort Lauderdale.

Check the link below

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/a ... eCode=FL11
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LaZalleTT
Occasional Visitor

Post by LaZalleTT »

Is you LCC still up for sale or is it sold already?
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Suicidekid63 wrote:Looks like a new top. If all of that worked, I'd say 15G, unseen.
Suicide wins the prize, but unfortunately not the car. This for sale in Del Mar California for $15,000.00 OBO. If you are interested look at the ad or call 858-344-5304. Unfortunately it is hard to tell the condition from what is posted so far, but she looks pretty good on line.
http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/775856.html
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

We bought it to restore it - ran out of money
I didn't see that part, but with this statement thrown into the ad, I'd be damn sure to check it out in person, if possible, before purchasing.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Suicidekid63 wrote:
We bought it to restore it - ran out of money
With this statement thrown into the ad, I'd be damn sure to check it out in person, if possible, before purchasing.
Agreed. I have a Mercury Marquis Convertible "kit" now that I am 49% into the restoration: the tear down phase. if I were to run out of money or motivation and sell it, the owner would have little more than a disassembled car and several boxes of parts. Not something easily assembled for someone who didn't take it apart!
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

This could explain why there are no pictures under the hood for this sale.