Mark III power mirrors

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Mark III power mirrors

Post by Wixomhead »

Working on the interior, now. Also both doors are still gutted while I clean up window regulators and dream up how I'm going to reconstruct arm rests and pull straps.

Anyone got any ideas for an affordable / Ebay (L & R) power mirror swap that would mount best to Mark III side (steep angle) or top (flat) of door?

These look like a cheap win, provided they don't stick out too far Ebay New Passenger Side Power Mirror For 2014-2015 Honda Civic

Experience?
Attachments
LUdj28iCS8C7ToYp5oMMnw.jpg
Wixomhead
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Mark III power mirrors

Post by TonyC »

They're designed to stick out far, like all mirrors of today—probably explains why I see so many modern cars of so many makes with sheared-off stumps where mirrors used to be, or mangled remains of mirrors hanging from doors and dangling in the breeze.

Besides, those mirrors would just look ghetto on a Mark III, not to mention the difficulties of creating wiring for them and finding a spot to mount the controls. But, if looks aren't a big deal, I guess it can be done; heck, the creation of wiring is something I'd probably do just for the challenge. :wink: I did it with a power-vent conversion, power-lock installation, and remote-trunk-release retrofit on Frankenstein. And, when my second huge life aspiration is realized, I do intend to offer reproduction starboard-side Suicide mirrors with an electric option (at additional cost, of course, old cable adjustment being the standard).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

Found these.

Wiring not a problem, doors are already ripped open, old wiring removed and power window/mirror switch installed in the center console. Just need to snake 12 feet of fresh 16 gauge from door to switch. Most concerned with mount/level/angle - will see and will share.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Wixomhead
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

So - mirrors from ‘89 Town Car acquired and fitted up. Angle is not exact, will need to fab an angled spacer for the base.

Meanwhile ... I’m trying to wire up to 89 Mark VII pwr mirror switch and hit a dead end trying to reverse engineer the 6 switch wires.

Does anyone have a schematic for that switch / struggling to understand where pwr, gnd and motor wires go. Usual red, black etc not working out.

Many thanks.
IMG-4932.jpg
Wixomhead
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

This diagram may be generic.

If you are going to do this kind of thing, you might stick with one year and model. Doing repairs of modifications is frustrating if the donor parts span many years and models.
Or build a wiring diagram and list of mods.

An EVTM for Continental is pretty cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-LINCOLN-C ... SwlpVeTAfn

>>>>Action
Attachments
2009-06-20_002842_1.gif
2009-06-20_002842_1.gif (19.02 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

Huge help. The colors correspond to my MK VII switch and Town Car mirrors. Will attack this later today.

Agree on same year/model, but ebay buyers can't always be choosers, since when did scrap 80s/90s Lincoln parts become "expensive".

HUGE THANKS AGAIN

wh
Wixomhead
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

Something’s not right. I put 12V to the light green (yellow stripe) at the Mark VII mirror control switch and grounded the black wire to the frame.

I’m not seeing any continuity between red, blue and/or yellow wires from switch when switch in L position and all four directions on the switch are pressed. Am I doing something wrong?

Mirror motor works fine - red, blue, yellow (common) all move the mirror as expected.
Wixomhead
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Just a blind shot in absence of light, but maybe those questionable wires go to something else unrelated to actually moving the mirror...? I see yours has the thermometer on it. Now, I don't know if that itself might have electricity fed to it, but it has to have a backlight for night visibility that would require electricity fed to it. And unless I miss my guess, the OEM mirror controls also had their own backlighting, which would have to be fed by wires. If the mirror otherwise operates as it should, then that would be my guess. Again, just a guess...

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

OK, thanks for all the thoughts/ideas and help.

Made some progress this weekend:

Center console mirror control switch switch is fried. I must have fried it, don't know how exactly but I pulled it all apart and the IC board is showing solder paths separating/blackened etc. Oops. that was a $70 mistake, apparently, dammit. Anyone got another they want to sell for less?

89 Town Car mirrors = cheap, $30 each on ebay, not good/nice but complete and operable
Drivers mirror red, blue, yellow control the up and down - same as the switch
Pass mirror green, purple yellow do same - same as the switch. nice.
Both mirrors have an additional green wire - must be the heating element
Driver mirror has a light blue wire (with a 2" long thick rubber grommet at the tail end of the wire - fusable link? This must be compass light, but why the thick rubber thingy?

Test fitted the mirrors/drilled the holes in the side of the door. I'm either going t need to cut/shave the base at an angle (?) or build up some shim out of rubber or plastic etc...

Gotta say they stick out a bit more but nothing I'd call out of line. In fact now I'm wondering once solved for if I might want to do this for real on the nicer Mark III.
IMG_E4969.JPG
Attachments
IMG_E4970.JPG
IMG_4971.png
Wixomhead
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Looks like it fits.

The peak trim runs in that area. Without the trim no problem.
The trim may just miss the mirror base not sure. Have you test fit the trim?

Wiring and switches, again you might want to stick to with the same year & model and get the diagram (for real and not my internet search) to make this a permanent install. Just my thoughts.

>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

Hey well I owe an update on this

The power mirror switch I decided to use is from 90s Mark VII also same as mustangs and aerostars of that era. Turns out I burnt out the first switch was burnt (prob by your truly) and the second switch was filthy - no wonder I couldn't get any of the wires to show continuity etc.

So once I scrubbed clean the contacts on the used switch, the reds and blues and yellows all aligned more with the colored wires from the mirror and I now have power left and right mirrors on my 71. But the switch is used and in poor shape - but a good test. I still need to level the mirrors against the door/body - they are not quite on plane - but that's a straightforward project.

Trim is off this mark, but I was planning to cut the pass top trim to see how it aligns with the 1990s town car mirror base. Will post pics if worthwhile :)

Thanks

wh
Wixomhead

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”