New tank or retro fit with pump

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jame04
Occasional Visitor

New tank or retro fit with pump

Post by jame04 »

I am adding EFI to my 68 w/ 460. The tank in the 68 is upright between the back seat and trunk. I currently have a small pump mounted outside the tank that feeds the 4 bbl carb however I would rather switch to in-tank vs running a larger external tank. Rick's tanks run around $1500 but that's mount and done (minus the lines) or I was able to find this

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /prd84.htm

I found that here https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... mp#p362677

just don't know how well the kit will work with an upright tank? Anyone run either? Or other options? My first step is to pressure test the tank as it is over 50 years old.Thanks
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: New tank or retro fit with pump

Post by JimA »

Here's a thread on my in-tank pump install. It would be better to have a sump or other means of keeping fuel at the pickup on hard turns or acceleration but it's never been a problem even at the drag strip.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... =1&t=48071
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The difference in the '68 versus the '78 tank will be venting. By 1978 (actually by 1971) Fed emission standards regulated fuel tank vapor emissions such that from 1971 and later there was a charcoal canister and a vent valve in the top of the tank. CA emissions may be accelerated by a year.

The '68 tank won't have that if it makes a difference. Which it may not.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

$1,500 for a gas tank? Seems a little spendy. Most of the people that I’ve talked to that have EFI go with FiTech. Not sure if they already has a drop in solution for the in tank pump or not.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

deviouscustoms.com has a proven system.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.53.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.53.18 PM.png (67.82 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Robert DeFrang
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

defrang wrote:deviouscustoms.com has a proven system.
thanks for the link. actually thinking of throwing an ls2 in it that I have laying around. it's complete where as I have to still purchase the EFI system for the 462 I have.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The LS2 has the tank and fuel pump with it?
Robert DeFrang
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

defrang wrote:The LS2 has the tank and fuel pump with it?
nope
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

bought and received the devious tank....very nice piece and will report back after install. Will be running new fuel lines while at it.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

yes. please report back your review on this tank/fuel pump setup.How easy or difficult to remove the old tank and how well the new one fits in its place. I keep toying with the idea of EFI even though my Edelbrock 1406 pertronix setup seems to work fine. And I have many other things on the to do list like most of us.
Robert DeFrang
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

Forgot to report back.

The devious customs tank is a work of art. The craftmanship is first class and it fits perfect in the stock location. You do have to cut the filler neck but that was easy. Super easy to plumb and wire. It didn't come with straps but I was able to use my stock ones.

Installed Fitech EFI and getting ready to fire this thing up. If I knew how to add pics I would.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Sounds like an excellent set up. Burnski on this forum (Pat Teahan on Suicide Slabs) has the FiTech EFI ( minus the tank you installed). Hope the system works well. Thanks for the report and hope you can write up some tips related to your install.
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Just hope there's good after-purchase support when the fuel pump fries, which is bound to happen with any electric job. That's why I'm no advocate of electric pumps, especially in-tank pumps, besides the pressure they usually generate which can blow out even the most durable of carburetors, unless they have adjustment capability for the pressure they give off. But that's only a personal conviction.

I'm just glad that Bessie's fuel pump was placed on the outside, due to her fuel tank being integrated with the body.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

No threat of blowing out any carbs with the EFI setup - the carb gets replaced with the EFI unit as a matched set to work with the in-tank pump. I considered going this route. Sure is nice to go out and hit the key and have the engine start instantly rather than having to crank until the bowls are refilled and then pump pump pump pump pump pump and then it finally sputters to life. I like stock and I felt the cost was too high to justify the benefits.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

Must be why all new cars are going back to mechanical fuel pumps.
TonyC wrote:Just hope there's good after-purchase support when the fuel pump fries, which is bound to happen with any electric job. That's why I'm no advocate of electric pumps, especially in-tank pumps, besides the pressure they usually generate which can blow out even the most durable of carburetors, unless they have adjustment capability for the pressure they give off. But that's only a personal conviction.

I'm just glad that Bessie's fuel pump was placed on the outside, due to her fuel tank being integrated with the body.

---Tony

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”