62 15" wheels

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

62 15" wheels

Post by Buckeye Steve »

I've decided to upgrade my 14" wheels to 15" on my 62 Lincoln and get some new Hankook radials. I've looked at several Forum discussions and am a bit confused. GM 15" steel wheels were mentioned as a good less expensive way to get to 15" wheels. I know there are certain GM or Chevy models that are 5x5. Are there specific models and years that are a direct swap? What all should I be looking for?

Thanks

Buckeye Steve
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 62 15" wheels

Post by papawayne »

Many years ago, we had a 73 Lincoln that we parted out. The headlights, horn and grill became our door bell, the trunk became a sofa with stereo, and the wheels and hubcaps went on my 63 without the slightest adaptation. Steve at Baker's didn't think it was a great idea, but I have had zero issues. Since then I have adapted my 63 hubcaps to fit the 15 inch wheels, See the post on this forum to see how to do it. Wayne
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

Hmmm, that gives me and idea. My 76 Conti Coupe has 15" steel rims on it and I'm looking to upgrade it to the 15" Alum. Alloy Wheels that were an option that year. Both the 62 and 76 are 5x5 or 5 x127 for foreigners:) They are 15x6 wide. Could I just take those 76 steel wheels and put them on my 62 (with new tires)? That would be an easy solutions and my 2 favorite words are easy and done.

Buckeye Steve
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

I too have used mid 70s Lincoln 15" wheels on my 61 for a decade with no fitment issues. They ride smoothly, and have presented no drivability, balance or alignment issues. I also used the aforementioned GM trim ring modification to use the OEM 14" wheelcovers.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

The important thing is to make sure the wheels fit properly and snugly, and if the '70s wheels will do so with no operating issues, then use them. I have had reservations of using those wheels since I learned that the center hole is larger in the '70s wheels, meaning no snug fit at the hub and that the only thing carrying the load is the five lug studs; but, if others have had no long-term problems, then my concern is unjustified.

I do advocate use of 15" wheels, just because it's easier to get radial tires for them that are rated high enough to bear the load. Sorry, but bias-ply's only advantage is if you are out to win a show; their roadability (as well as prices nowadays) compared to radials does not compare, which is why they're no longer sold in mainstream.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I just used hub centric rings on my '63 when I put deep dish wheels on it. Worked fine. I dont know if the '70's steel wheels need hub centric rings or not, to fit properly on a slabside. I assume they would.

here are the ones I used. 78mm OD x 72mm ID https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025WWU6I/re
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

Well, Suicidekid 63, I made the move. I bought 5 deep dish wheels for my 76 to replace the 15" steel wheels. Even the spare on my 76 will have deep dish. I'll then take the 15" steel wheels and put them on my 62. I'll test them on my 62 and get hub centric rings, if needed. I expect they will be needed.

Buckeye Steve
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

Here's what the Alloy wheels look like on my 76. I love them. I put the 76 15" wheels with the 20 year old Michelin X tires on my 62 and it rides like a dream

Buckeye Steve
Attachments
New Rims and Tires 3 Paint.jpg
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

I tried to use random GM 5 lug steel wheels to do this since I wanted to try to keep the 62 hubcaps using a stainless trim ring as a spacer, and I discovered that some of them can interfere if you switch to disc brakes. They are made by attaching a center hub to the wheel rim using four huge steel flaps. The edge of the flaps protrudes towards the control arms and due to loose manufacturing tolerances in where the flap was cut off for welding to the rims, it can rub on a caliper. I ended up getting some inexpensive American Racing wheels that look more or less period correct and never finished mounting the 62 hubcaps to the trim rings.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”