New Lincoln Owner Looking for advice and help

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

kneman1

New Lincoln Owner Looking for advice and help

Post by kneman1 »

Dear All,
Its been a pleasure to read some of your posts. I recently purchased a 1961 Lincoln continental sedan black. The car is pretty solid from what I've seen and been told. I have not seen the car in person. I have a few questions to ask and was hoping for some help. First of all I located in Southern California and looking for a good mechanic that can also do upgrades potentially to suspension, brakes, EFI systems and sorts. Can someone please give me some references if possible.

Any thoughts on doing the following:
Disc brake conversion
EFI upgrade
Suspension upgrade to make the right better NOT BAGS.
LED light upgrades inside and out tail lights and headlights keeping classic look.

thanks
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Re: New Lincoln Owner Looking for advice and help

Post by Classiccannuk »

I would get the car on the road first, drive it, work out any bugs then think about doing any upgrades. I try to keep the car mobile, any repairs or improvements I do I keep to 1 or 3 days at most (parts being on hand).
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I definitely agree. Start with the basics so that the car starts, runs, drives and Stops properly first. The most frustrating thing in the world of these cars is getting so many systems taken apart that you can not drive the car to test out repairs you have made. Way too many new owners get a car so dismantled in the process of starting out that the car ends up sitting for months, years and sometimes for the rest of its life not being driven or enjoyed.

All of the things that are appearance related only should go on the end of your list. For example, I know a guy who recently got a new "old" car with an absolutely horrible interior. He found a guy to redo his seats and door panels and took them to his shop to do. In the meantime, the fellow got the engine running fine and updated his brakes, but the car was sitting there with no seats for almost 6 months waiting for the other guy to get done and reinstall the interior.

From your list, I'd start with getting the brakes working first - maybe even holding off on the disc brake conversion until you know the car is a driver. I'd put the LED lights and EFI conversion way down at the bottom sticking with the original systems at first. I'd also leave the suspension for down the road unless work is needed to make the car safe to drive. If it's just to change the stance of the car, then save the time and money for a time when the car is on the road and you can enjoy it.

There are some good threads on this forum that talk about the sequence for bringing a newly acquired car up to speed. Some worthwhile first steps could include flushing and changing all fluids, making sure the gas tank and fuel lines are not full of corrosion and old gas, and the basic service items for inspection and lubrication of suspension and steering parts.

Good luck to you on your project. We would love to see some pictures of your car when you have it. Sometimes the guys on here can spot problem areas and give you pointers better when they can see what you are dealing with.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

In Riverside, CA there is a shop that can do just about anything to a 60s Lincoln: www.deviouscustoms.com
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Kneman1,

First off, welcome aboard. I too agree with the others in that you should take delivery of the car and see first-hand what needs repair first. Then you can look into mods. One thing you really need to get at the same time as the car itself is a shop manual, so do that. It is the most valuable investment you'll have for your car.

EFI conversion will likely be the most expensive job. But there are those who have done it and could give guidance. Do a search here for EFI mods. I am glad to see that you don't seem besotted by balloon suspensions; real springs are far less of a headache. Re-leafing the rear springs can run several hundred dollars; if you don't have that, you can try helper springs as a temporary fix. Helpers cost about $50, if that.

And we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have that the shop manual doesn't seem to answer.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

document as much of your project as you can. pictures are invaluable, especially if you sell the car in the future. i have thousands of pictures, a lot of them when the car was bare metal, showing how solid my car is. second piece of advice, create a lincoln fund, these cars are expensive to maintain and restore!

paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
kneman1

Post by kneman1 »

Thank you all for the invaluable information. I am hoping to receive the car next week. I had an inspection done and the car is in very good condition. No rust and paint and interior are pretty perfect. Just want to Make the car safe and reliable. Will post pictures as soon as I have the car! Happy thanksgiving.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

As built the car was safe and reliable. Most of the time there are small things or small wear in items that make the ride less than reliable.

Changing to EFI or changing to disc brakes by definition you are getting brand new parts with zero wear. If you did the same with the original parts the vehicle will be reliable. For much of the things you have listed you will gain less maintenance and/or better performance versus a well maintained stock system.

Nothing wrong with either choice. And both choices were safe and reliable when brand new. Both choices do wear and have some maintenance.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Welcome and congratulations on joining the wold of Lincoln!
Can I make a suggestion to maximize the pleasure of your new car? Come join the LCOC! The largest of the Lincoln car groups. See the link in my signature below and best of luck to you. The 1961 is one of the most beautiful cars of all time, in my opinion.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

^^ + 1 to the above!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I am mostly a stock guy, but as mentioned, original stuff will have wear on it. Properly rebuilt and reconditioned, the stock systems are pretty damn reliable. Don’t really understand the benefit of EFI and rear disc brakes unless one has unlimited funds to blow. Certainly your car and your money to do as you wish, though.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Oh, forgot.........we don’t care if it’s customized to your liking or not - a Lincoln is a Lincoln is a Lincoln!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
kneman1

Post by kneman1 »

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna do a post purchase inspection at the mechanic and see what she needs and go from there.
kneman1

Post by kneman1 »

Hello guys
Got the car today and unfortunately it would not start. Tried jumping the battery but the engine would not crank over.
A few question the car has an old musty smell to it. Could that be the carpet or underneath?
Also anyone know where I can get interior wood trim
Thanks.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

The cheapest option on the wood trim is to do it yourself. It is only veneer, and is available all over the place, even boat shops and cabinetry shops and hardware stores, Sand the current wood smooth (if it is still solidly attached, and glue the veneer on over it). Wayne

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”