New Lincoln Owner Looking for advice and help

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: New Lincoln Owner Looking for advice and help

Post by linc64 »

My advice is obvious, but I've seen a lot of people do the opposite and then give up before completion. Get it running, driving and stopping before spending ANY money on the cosmetics. Good luck with your project, and welcome to the world of Lincoln ownership. :smt006
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
kneman1

Post by kneman1 »

thank you for the advice. Working on getting a new starter as we speak. Then will check everything else. Thanks
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Allow me to give you a little advice where the starter is concerned. First, you might also want to invest in a new starter relay; those wear out just like starters. New ones are available at parts stores, and they aren't that expensive.

Second, make sure the engine isn't frozen. Apply a socket to the the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer in place, and with a breaker bar try to turn it (clockwise from forward view). The bolt should be a 15/16" head, so you will need a socket of that size. If it turns by hand, then you know the engine isn't seized.

Third, when you shop for starters, I strongly recommend going to O'Reilly. They have starters on file for these engines; they will most likely have two listings, I recommend the higher-priced one. The higher-priced listing has a lifetime warranty because it's better-built; it will last for years. I strongly recommend avoiding AutoZone where electrical engine components are concerned: They never last very long, not nearly so long as the O'Reilly components. O'Reilly's parts are a little more expensive than AutoZone's, but they are worth it. I've never really shopped NAPA for electrical stuff, but I'm sure they too would have to be of better quality than AutoZone's parts.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

The good news is that wherever you go for a starter (I prefer NAPA), it will be less money than a new starter for your daily driver! Wayne

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”