42Cont w/V12 thinking going with Olds V-8

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

lincolnmatthews

42Cont w/V12 thinking going with Olds V-8

Post by lincolnmatthews »

My 12 is tired & would have to be sent to H & H for a rebuild (about 8K) but still would have the issues of keeping the thing running such as the coils, distributor etc. I have a chance of getting a complete 50 Olds 88 for about 1500 or less.
I just don't know much about hot rodding or converting. I know these were a common conversion back in the days. I believe they used the old Lincoln tranny & OD but whats involved with bolting up an Olds V-8 (that had an automatic behind it) to the manual shift Lincoln? Would appreciate any opinions about doing this & would it be worth it. I still would have to overhaul the Olds, & assume I would not use the automatic as I would have to change everything including the rear end, right??

Would appreciate some help please as I need to let the guy know whether I'm going to take his car, thanks!
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 42Cont w/V12 thinking going with Olds V-8

Post by bagged59 »

if you're not concerned about originality, find a transmission that would mate up to the olds engine. you said how hard it is to keep the v12 functional, dont you think the original transmission would be just as hard? i do. i took the original 430 and trans and replaced it with a 460 and an AOD with an Ultrabell to adapt that trans to the 460. let me tell you, it's not easy! pretty much any motor swap can be done, just find the right person to do it to make it safe, reliable and not look like it was cobbled together. make it look like it came that way. good luck.
paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Again, if you are not converned with originality, why use a 50+ year old engine for the swap? It would probably be easier in the short term and definitely easier to maintain if you just used a new small block Chevy or something like that. Everything you would need to bolt up to it would be available and you could spend your time driving the car instead of hunting down parts and rebuilding the Olds motor. Just a thought.

Yeah, would probably run you a bit more than 1500 bucks, but as you say, the olds engine would still need a rebuild and unless you already have plans for the hunk of 50 Olds you would have left over, you have to get rid of that after pulling the motor and other stuff.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
lincolnmatthews

Thanks you guys, I decided to stick with the V-12! & send it to H & H. According to guys on the HAMB it would require a Caddy bell housing to put the starter on the opposite side of the OLDS. Actually the Lincoln tranny would be fine, but would require a manual flywheel etc for the Olds. I think its just to much BS! I've had this car since 90 with the 12 & could live with a 50's V-8 but not a Chevy crate engine! I'd rather push my 12 than have a Chevy V-8!
Apparently theirs a shop in Portland OR that can rebuild the 12. Oh originality is important to me, just want something that runs. Its getting harder to keep these 12'S running (for the working pukes!) Thanks
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

got any pictures of your car to post?
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Oh I'm totally with you on the decision to stick with stock. That is always my inclination for any old car. My take on your original post was that you were more of a restomod type of guy that was mainly interested in the drivability of your car than its classic nature. Since that's now clear that you do care, no way would I recommend a crate motor for that car. Done right, I personally think the V12s run like sewing machines they are so smooth and quiet.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I personally know of a V-12 inside of a 39 Zephyr that moved that Zephyr from Thomaston Maine to Washington State to Maine again. It was out the other day toodling around. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Normally, where drive trains are concerned, I advocate keeping it original; but considering that it's a '42 model, you may be forced into replacing it anyway. The 306-cid version of the Zephyr V-12 was prone to blow itself up due to the cylinder walls being too thin--the engineers back then didn't realize that boring the block out that far was beyond its tolerance (they reverted back to the 292 in '46 after learning about this). I hope not, but be prepared to hear that.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
lincolnmatthews

I'm going to pull the engine this month and decided to send it down to Central Heads in Portland OR. Its closer to me than H & H and will come in at less money. I would have preferred to get it rebuilt locally but just didn't get any good feedback around here, (Bellingham Wa).

I'm sure its not the original engine would be nice if its a post war engine, (bigger journals, no sludge plugs in the crank) I guess we'll find out. Thanks for the help!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good luck--keep us posted on the progress! :smt023

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”