Dual exhaust

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Dual exhaust

Post by mrjb9475 »

What are the options for mufflers what is everyone using I don't want it too loud but not to quiet my cadillac 500 had turbo mufflers but the engine was louder then the exhaust what's a good choice thanks for the opinions Ohh this will be for a 1970 Lincoln
Jessie
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Dual exhaust

Post by papawayne »

My opinion is that Lincolns are to be seen and not heard. Others want them heard before they're seen. Go with your own feeling. Go stock, or there's a whole world of noisy stuff to choose from. Wayne
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I'm a stock guy, myself. In my opinion, they are loud enough even with the factory exhaust in place. I got a couple system from this place and have been very pleased: www.classicexhaustinc.com Constructed just like original.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mrjb9475
Occasional Visitor

Post by mrjb9475 »

sorry I thought this was the Modernizing, and Customizing discussion I do not want stock I want stock style dual exhaust I was just wondering what mufflers people were using rather it be magnaflow etc.. for best sounding (not too loud) I want to open the big block up and hear a little rumble thank you
Jessie
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This question gets asked a lot and there is no sticky for the answer because no one seems to be able to answer it.

I've had two custom exhausts done and both were hand-selected mufflers by my muffler shop for pipe size, overall dimensions, and loudness.

I gave the shop the first two and told them where I wanted the third (loudness) to be. They made the selection. I told them if a Lincoln is a 0 on the loudness scale of 0 to 10 (10 being the loudest), I wanted a 3.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

If you have the system fabricated so that it uses flanges for the mufflers, you can give yourself some flexibility to experiment. A good custom shop can do all kinds of things for you. I had to have some vaguely hack-ish modifications made to my setup since you can’t easily buy 1.75” stainless tube and the bolt on system I bought really did not fit correctly under the center of the car (it was impossible to seal to the exhaust manifolds). It is now fabricated with 2” pipe there that is welded to connect to the 1.75” mufflers, with bungs for O2 sensors in case I do an EFI conversion. I had them place the bends so that I can put electronic cutouts just before the resonators. I’ll probably never do this but I did sort of giggle mentally at the idea of throwing a switch and having a roaring open exhaust on the otherwise quiet Lincoln, so I had them leave clearance for it.

I’ll go back to deal with the inelegant bumps up to 2 and down to 1.75 again when I’m not chasing all the things that were totally f’d by the shop that did bodywork for me.
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

following topic since im in the exhaust fabrication phase, trying to decide on mufflers, though some rumble to compliment the thumper cam but not loud. was recommended flowmaster HP2 mufflers, which was told are similar to glasspacks. ive been researching borla, magnaflow and flowmaster. youtube videos arent always reliable since they are recorded with smartphones and the person usually starts the vehicle and revs the crap out of it, making it hard to hear. choosing a muffler feels like choosing a color.
paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
severedties
Occasional Visitor

Post by severedties »

Take a look at Jones exhaust. I got a set for my 65. I called jones exhaust and talked to them about what sound I wanted and my size restrictions. They set me up with exactly what I needed. Sounds great. They have some that will make it silent if you want all the way up to glass packs. They are priced extremely reasonable and most of them are made of 16gauge steel last a long time
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Not 100% sure without looking under my sedan, but I think my mechanic placed glasspacks before the mufflers and my exhaust is so silent now. I assume he removed the resonators, but like I said, I'm not at my vehicle right now, so not sure of the exact set-up that's present, now.
I can look if one is interested.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Got custom dual exhaust built with Dynomax VT mufflers. They have flaps built in that open under high volume flow to provide much reduced back pressure. It's a 521 stroker with headers and 2.5" pipes. A little too loud when flaps were closed (NICE when they were open) so it went back for 12" glasspacks as resonators. Very nice sound now under light and heavy loads. If you have smaller cubes, no headers and smaller pipes, I expect you wouldn't need the resonators.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I do not believe in anti-mufflers, much less in calling such things "mufflers." Mufflers deaden noise, make things quieter--hence, the term "muffler." I know that ear-splitting is a fad these days, but what difference does it really make in performance?

Now, a dual-exhaust refit wouldn't be bad--it will help give better breathing to the engine exhaust. Of course, there is a trade: Components of dual exhausts tend to rust out a bit quicker than single-exhaust systems, because more water vapor gets trapped and it takes longer for it to boil out because the components run cooler.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

papawayne wrote:My opinion is that Lincolns are to be seen and not heard. Others want them heard before they're seen. Go with your own feeling. Go stock, or there's a whole world of noisy stuff to choose from. Wayne
:grin:
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

mrjb9475 wrote:sorry I thought this was the Modernizing, and Customizing discussion I do not want stock I want stock style dual exhaust I was just wondering what mufflers people were using rather it be magnaflow etc.. for best sounding (not too loud) I want to open the big block up and hear a little rumble thank you
Nothing wrong with your question or the place you asked it. You should do whatever pleases you with your car but be prepared for comments from members that don't believe the original characteristics should be changed. Personally, I like original appearance with improved performance. Many here like originality. Some others like radical customs. Whatever floats your boat.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

I'm looking to change my 76 Coupe to dual exhaust. Some folks have gone to 2.5" exhaust pipes and have used different mufflers to get the sound you like. But I'm with you. I think its your car and you can do with it want you want.
Buckeye Steve
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Just a tip for all of you considering custom dual exhaust: pay extra for the crossover as close to the engine as possible. It improves low-end torque, which is what our heavy cars need.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”