Towing a 61-63 Car

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bluestang65

Towing a 61-63 Car

Post by bluestang65 »

I bought a '63 the other day and I'm going to go pick it up. I've seen several pics online of 61-63 cars on Uhaul auto transports.

Does anyone want to let me know how well or not well they tow in that scenario if you have any experience?

Is it possible and advisable to tow them with the dolly Uhaul rents?
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Towing a 61-63 Car

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

For what it's worth, I wouldn't tow one unless you are using a trailer. You are pulling 5,200 pounds of car and you'll need to be able to stop it. Where are you located?
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

You may find that if you are honest about what you are going to tow, U-Haul may refuse to rent you a tow dolly for that car. If you are able to rent a car trailer, make sure it is one with fenders that drop down. Otherwise you may not be able to clear the fenders putting the car on the trailer and, even if you do, you may not be able to open the doors to get out of the car. Naturally, if the car isn't running and driving, you will need the capability to winch it onto the trailer so you'll need to make sure that's available. Also, with that much load, you are going to want trailer brakes and your tow vehicle will have to be set up for those. I would recommend a 3/4 ton truck for towing although you could probably get by ok with a 1/2 ton. As far as a dolly goes, as I said, I don't think they are built for a car that big, so you need to know the maximum weight the dolly can handle. Lastly, you will need to disconnect the drive shaft (or ideally drop it completely) to tow the car rear wheels down on a dolly. If the car has been sitting a long time, you will need to feel good about the wheel bearings and tires and obviously will need to be rigged for towing lights on the back of the Lincoln.

I've always been more comfortable transporting these big cars on a roll back truck or heavy duty car trailer. I have done it on a car trailer with a half ton truck and there's a hint of the tail wagging the dog. What is your tow vehicle?\

This is from Uhaul:

U-Haul auto transport trailers are car trailers that are ideal for long-distance moves and have a maximum load towing capacity of 5,290 lbs. Our auto transport trailers are equipped with an easy-access loading ramp, security chains and ratchet-operated tire straps to transport your car safely and securely with ease.

When towing with your own vehicle, the car trailer will require a 1 7/8” or 2” hitch ball, the appropriately rated hitch system, as well as external mirrors and fully functional lighting. During the reservation process, U-Haul will provide an exact recommendation for your particular vehicle combination. Rent one of our state-of-the-art car trailer rentals today.

Towing vehicle requirements
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
Tow vehicle and trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night. All U-Haul trailers and towing are wired with a 4-way flat light connector.
Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,210 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 5,290 lbs.).
Must have a towing system that has a 5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating
Must have 1-7/8" or 2" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting
Maximum recommended speed is 55 MPH
Load trailers heavier in front.
Reduce normal driving speed.
Wear a seatbelt.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

This isn't a customizing topic. It should be in the Misc. Discussion category.

But anyway...sedan or 'vert? There is a difference, by about 400 pounds at least.

In either case, do NOT even think of just dragging the car on its wheels, like those motards in RVs do with their cars. You will destroy the transmission's innards doing that. You can prevent that by removing the drive shaft, but then you'll leave a long trail of fluid on the highway.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Flatbed.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

bluestang65 wrote:Is it possible and advisable to tow them with the dolly Uhaul rents?
Of course, it's possible. First you need a heavy-duty dolly wide-enough to accept the vehicle and a tow vehicle that meets all the other weight and power requirements.

Second, you pull the driveshaft by removing the rear coupling to the axle and pulling it out of the transmission in the front. Be sure to not lose the bearings and plug the transmission up to prevent fluid from leaking out.

Done. Standard RWD towing procedure.

Good luck finding a U-Haul with a wide enough tow-dolly.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

I've used their flat bed trailer with the flip down fender for my track car several times, which of course is not quite so large or heavy as the Continental, and towed it with a Cayenne Turbo and a Tacoma. The trailer is massively overbuilt and heavy, and a 60's Continental will probably be under that load limit depending on year and convertible vs sedan. I suspect that trailer could carry several times the 5290lb rating as long as the tires are up to it. As long as you have a heavy enough and powerful enough tow vehicle, I'd put your focus on whether their trailer is long enough for the car. To put that in perspective, I'd feel comfortable towing the Lincoln with the Cayenne Turbo because it has colossal brakes, weighs 5000 lbs so the tail can't easily wag the dog, and has huge torque reserves (You can barely tell you're towing that trailer + track car), but the Tacoma really feels like it is pushing its limits towing a 2000lb car on that 2000lb trailer.

I'm fairly sure It should strap down ok since they use the pull over nylon webbing to capture the front wheels. You ratchet the car down and forward with the webbing, then wrap a chain around the axles etc at the back, so that part should be pretty easy.
bluestang65

Post by bluestang65 »

I’m located In the Pacific Northwest. The tow vehicle is an F150 with the 3.5T EB.

The dolly idea is out but I may still use a transport. The truck is rated for 11,000 and I’ve towed a 10,000camper through the mountains without it skipping a beat. These motors really are wonderful. At one point I went to pass a Prius on a steep grade and without even straining, the truck accelerated uphill.

The transports out there have surge brakes that are hydraulic such that any time the trailer is pushing the truck the brakes engage. While not as ideal as true trailer brakes, they work very well. I’ve towed a Silverado 2007 ext cab with the swb with a Tahoe of the same vintage. I’m always surprised at how well the trailers do.

I don’t want to do it myself but the transport companies are acting like I’m asking them to ship it from the Florida keys to Alaska. Rates are outrageous for transportation on two of America’s most traveled interstates. The car is coming from and going to houses about a mile from interstates 70 and 5. Maybe rates are high or I’m a cheapskate.... maybe both.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I tow my 63 sedan on a 22' trailer with my F 150 and have never had a problem (at least driving; Dan, be quiet!). I have the control for the trailer brakes on the truck (brake booster?).

But I don't think the brakes on the F 150 are strong enough to stop the truck and car.
bluestang65

Post by bluestang65 »

After towing 1700 miles through the mountains, here are my observations: It wasn't easy, fun or ideal, but not impossible and it didn't feel unsafe or out of control.

First, wind sucks. There were 80+mph winds in the mountain passes.

Second, gas mileage also sucks. Duh... Pulling our 9900lb camper I get about 9-9.5. Pulling the continental I got 10.1-10.7

Third, It is hard to get the tongue weight were it needs to be which leads to sway. My truck is a half ton and I had weight in the bed. Next time, if I did this again, I would either have airbags on the truck or nothing in the bed and use a drop hitch to put as much weight forward as possible.

Fourth, There can be no weight in the trunk. There was an old starter and the jack and a few other items in the trunk. Just that weight (because it overhangs the rear of the trailer so far) is enough to promote sway on the freeway.

Fifth, the F150 with the 3.5T Ecoboost is an absolute beast. It will pull the whole mess so much faster than you could safely go, but the extra torque and power really come in handy when merging on the freeway. Every time I tow, I'm glad I traded my 2015 Coyote off for the 2017 EB. Simply push the gas and the truck is going 65 like a champ. The only down side is that it definitely sounds like a 6 cylinder with the occasional woosh of the turbos. The Coyote sounds like $1M.

Overall, I'd use a different trailer if one is available for the freeway. The surge brakes work as designed and they do work well. It would always be better to just have brakes connected to the truck's controller. Any weight hanging over the rear of the trailer is less than ideal, so the long weighty Continental is better served by a more suitable trailer. Around town, it pulls fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for short jaunts to the shop or whatever.

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”