There's a Powerstroke'd 65 Lincoln...

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

cliffdavis
Lincoln Maniac

There's a Powerstroke'd 65 Lincoln...

Post by cliffdavis »

I came across a 65 Lincoln that is in the process of receiving a 7.3 Powerstroke engine/trans. This is the swap my 64 would get if I was willing to cut up the car, but I never thought anyone would actually DO the swap. The mechanical install is complete and the electrical is underway.

I have a couple of pictures but I have to make sure it's cool to post them. The fabricator is not the owner and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
64 Continental Sedan
Daily Driver, Weekend Fixer
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: There's a Powerstroke'd 65 Lincoln...

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Do you think you need the owners permission?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

There are a couple of online threads about the 7.3 Powerstroke '65 Lincoln, but none of them have pictures. One thread is from 2011 and the other from 2012. They're mainly just discussing options and asking questions about build. I think the latter one stated that the install was finished.
Couldn't find any photos at all. Must be a real secret! :x
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Lets see the photos. I was driving my Lincoln last night and was thinking I wanted more powerful brakes, but in terms of hp and torque, it doesn't like to take fast corners with its current power plant. A powerstroke diesel is going to need some serious upgrades elsewhere too. I hope the owner or fabricator could elaborate on what all has been done.
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, I think we need visual aids, especially if any of those guys claimed success (unless the lack thereof is the secret :lol: ). They would have to have a lot of cash to burn just chopping up the unibody to get the engine to fit, not to mention the replacement of the entire drive train because of compatibility hang-ups; and then more to essentially rebuild the forward structure to make it safe to drive.

That is without question a five-figure job...and the first figure has to be higher than 1.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

TonyC wrote:That is without question a five-figure job...and the first figure has to be higher than 1.
With a parts truck and welder, I don't see what would make it that expensive if you're doing it yourself.
just a LOT of time.
also, a stock early 7.3 powerstroke is NOT a powerhouse. talking less than 200hp and 400ft/lb at the wheels.
1961 Sedan
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Because you are talking about one of the most unitized unit bodies ever made--Suicides are more unitized than the unit-body cars built today. And with any unit body, you simply cannot cut corners, which most common individuals will do, without compromising the structural integrity. Even the factories--both Lincoln's and Lehmann-Peterson's--had to constantly tweak the bodies at every stage of development, which cost them money (Gs, not Ks). And when you talk about reinventing the power train, that adds to the cost; even if the drive parts came free, making them fit and keeping the car's structure in a drivable condition requires a lot more than just knowing how to turn a torch on. Nobody who has done a reinvention has ever paid less than 5 figures, because it simply cannot be done on the cheap. Not with these cars.

But yes, chopping up the car for a 7.3 load-lugger makes no sense--not when the subject car is already equipped with a 7.0 whose legacy was in high street performance. Funny how a five-decade-old Y-block seems to be more efficient in that regard, eh?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

No clue why someone would want a 7.3 diesel in one of these. The noise level alone would deter me from even considering it. Possibly the only benefit I could see is fuel mileage, but the excessive noise would offset that benefit, for me.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”