22inch wheels

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

benstarz
Occasional Visitor

22inch wheels

Post by benstarz »

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me what the biggest width 22" wheels you can fit to a totally standard 65cc?
I'm thinking 8.5" up front and 10" at the rear?
Any help greatly appreciated
DirtyNate

Re: 22inch wheels

Post by DirtyNate »

Did you ever find out or get new wheels? Let me know what you ended up with. I put 20" rims with a 10" width on my 62 that I used to have. Looked great but the wide wheels in the front grabbed the road and caused more swerving. I hated the way it handled.
SHIFT
Occasional Visitor

Post by SHIFT »

I got 22x9.5 with +15 offset front and rear on mine. With air ride. No problem.
1965 Convertible-- Slammed with Asanti 22's

Former ride:
1963 Lincoln ---Black on Black
MobSteel air ride with 22's.
DirtyNate

Post by DirtyNate »

I just got a message from an online wheel place and they said anything 6.5-9.5 wide. I'm planning on going as wide as possible. How low is your air ride? Got a pic?
SHIFT
Occasional Visitor

Post by SHIFT »

I just did some quick measuring. My 65 looks to be the same as my 63. When played out in the rear, the outside of the tires at the top are about 1/4" from the wheelwell. If the rims were "0" offset, they would hit. A +20 or +30 would probably allow more drop. Other things (like the driveshaft) hit before that anyway.

Former ride:
viper8u2

Post by viper8u2 »

I am in the same boat, been a while since I shopped for wheels. I have a 62 convert and planning on putting in air ride. I am trying to decide between 20 or 22. The recent post on FB slabs group there are a bunch running 22 without any issues.

Anyone know if this wheel would work?

http://us-mags.com/rambler-u110-w-5959.htm#panel-20

I am thinking the tire would be 245/30r22

Size BP BP 2 Part Number Finish Bore Offset BSM (in) Cap Num Rating (lb) Weight (lb) Lug Type LipSize (in)
22x9 5x5.0 U11022907350 P -Chrome 78.1 1 5 1002-46P 1900 34 CONICAL 2.9

Thanks
SHIFT
Occasional Visitor

Post by SHIFT »

That should work. I'm a little confused on their chart -- it says 5" backspace with an offset of 1. It should be an offset of 25 with a 5" backspace on a 22x9.

I use 255/30/22. I think it is a more common (cheaper) size.

Former ride:
viper8u2

Post by viper8u2 »

Thank you Shift

You can imagine a new guy, I have heard conflicting info and not sure what to go with. I posted in the slabs group and got 1 response lol.

My car is at a shop getting windows done and a look over since I just got the thing, I have the CPP disc brake conversion that should be in next week so I have to get some wheels

Mike
DirtyNate

Post by DirtyNate »

viper8u2 wrote:Thank you Shift

You can imagine a new guy, I have heard conflicting info and not sure what to go with. I posted in the slabs group and got 1 response lol.

My car is at a shop getting windows done and a look over since I just got the thing, I have the CPP disc brake conversion that should be in next week so I have to get some wheels

Mike

Are you getting front and back disck brakes? That's my first big project on the car now that I have the top working.
viper8u2

Post by viper8u2 »

yes, I went with the CPP kit, should be here this week
viper8u2

Post by viper8u2 »

Hey Shift, looking at this site and a couple others they figure out backspace differently

http://thesquealingtire.com/wheel-offse ... explained/

So

22×9 +1 mm offset - 255/30/r22

9″ rim width + 1″ = 10″
10″/2 = 5″ (wheels center line)
+1 mm offset/25.4 = 0.04″
0.04″ + 5″ = 5.04″ Backspace (they put 5" rounded down)

So in your opinion would this work? or better to just do the 20x8 +1mm Offest with 4.5" backspace 245/45/r20
Brian63

Post by Brian63 »

I got 22x9 and 22x10.5 on mine with +10 offset. its close but doesnt rub.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

I am not sure about 22" wheels on a cc. What I do know is that 22" tires have become very expensive because the 22 wheel size never took off like the 20 or 24". What I did order for mine are the Isotope Kennedy Wheels. The best looking out there for us Mod guys. So sweet, even the purists can agree "These are worthy of the CC" I highly recommend checking out their different styles that completely match up with the look of factory hubcaps but in a 20" wheel. This is a stock car not lowered and it is the only wheel that looks badass not being slammed. No grandpa sized whitewalls.

http://www.instagram.com/isotopemotors
http://www.isotopewheels.com
Attachments
Isotopewheels.com                http://www.instagram.com/isotopemotors
Isotopewheels.com http://www.instagram.com/isotopemotors
IMG_7959 (1).JPG
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
syfe1
Occasional Visitor

Post by syfe1 »

@jtheye ... How much were those wheels? They're nice!
Instagram: @jonelloh
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Only deposit so far, but I believe they will be around $4k for all 4 with center caps. If I understood correctly the wheels are a 20"/8.5 with 0 offset, normal Lincoln specs. With a 40 series tire they will work with an unmodified continental. I would definitely click on link, check out web site and give them an email or call. They do take some time to get. I was told the rims are machined and cut (one piece no welds), then polished, sent to chrome and then back. I know this is easily twice as much as a mass made set of 20" rims and you get tires. The reason I didn't hesitate to buy these is because I could not find anything to me that went with the continental besides the stock hubcaps, but then you have the large sidewall. My second choice would have been a solid wheel painted to match the car. Going that route would have ended up being almost as much.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”