1978 Continental Coupe in the 1/8th Mile

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

1978 Continental Coupe in the 1/8th Mile

Post by JimA »

Got it to the drag strip to time it. 9.07 ET was a little disappointing but, of course, I had 2-3 excuses. :shifty: Was pleased with the sub-2 second 60' time.

https://youtu.be/IYRRMXsG3b0
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1978 Continental Coupe in the 1/8th Mile

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You looked the best doing the run, though.

That other guy looked like he was standing still!
traxxasislife
Occasional Visitor

Post by traxxasislife »

What are the specs on the motor? And also is this used as a daily driver/sleeper because that thing is wicked cool
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Thanks. Yes, its a daily driver. Runs great. Engine parts selected and supplied by CarsbyCarl. 521 stroker, Performer heads and intake, Quick Fuel 750 carb, dual cold-air intakes, headers, Lunati cam, roller rockers, recurved distributor by RHP Performance, straight up valve timing, in-tank fuel pump, pressure regulator with return line, 3" dual exhaust pipes with 2.5" tail pipes, Broader Performance valve body, 2400 stall TC, 3.25 Traction Loc.

I still need to get it on a dyno for a final tune and to insure that fuel pressure is staying up at WOT.

If I won the lottery, it would get a wide-ratio C6, Gear Vendor OD, and aluminum drive shaft. That would make it near perfect in my mind.

I like this frame pulled from the video with stuff photoshopped out.
Attachments
Lincoln burnout small.jpg
1978 Continental Coupe
Altares
Occasional Visitor

Post by Altares »

JimA, what headers are you using? Did you have to do any customization/modification?
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Altares wrote:JimA, what headers are you using? Did you have to do any customization/modification?
The header install was documented here. http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... t=+headers There were several issues to be solved but not TOO bad considering the headers were not designed for this application.
1978 Continental Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

WHOA--bad-ASS! :smt004 Do tell--how shocked was everyone to see a visibly-stock-looking, bad-grandpa car launch off like something half the size? You really need to keep it looking the way it does in that picture; that will really throw people off!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

TonyC wrote:WHOA--bad-ASS! :smt004 Do tell--how shocked was everyone to see a visibly-stock-looking, bad-grandpa car launch off like something half the size? You really need to keep it looking the way it does in that picture; that will really throw people off!

---Tony
Tony,

ABSOLUTELY!! Stock looking everywhere but under the hood. Definitely had some fans at the strip. :shock:

Jim
1978 Continental Coupe
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Update for 1/4 mile, 13.61 ET. The 750 carb is undersized for the 521 stroker. I'm sure it would do even better with a bigger carb.

https://youtu.be/fXkOFB2h6J0

Not driving it much since my 81th birthday. Too many other issues. I'm thinking about selling it.
1978 Continental Coupe
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Me likey! Nice colour too!
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”